News 2009 Master's NA's Pre-Race Day 1 Report.

Rob B

Day # 1 at the Masters NA’s

The gangs all here. Currently we have 96 pre-registered sailors for the 2009 Laser Masters North American Championship regatta here in Wrightsville Beach, NC.
I arrived today around 3:30 PM, (later than I wanted to be here) and the weather was anything other than what had been predicted all week. Figures! From 110 miles out I hit rain and it stayed with me to the Carolina Yacht Club. I missed the practice races which turned out to be a non-event as there was very little wind and a 6 foot steep swell left over from something I did not get to see. The volunteer RC was a tad green as they came in.

Even though I was late and no one else was out I figured what the hell I’m here, time to go for a sail and see how Mother Ocean is doing. This turned out to be the best call I made today.

After unpacking, claiming my bed in the club “apartment”, (nothing like hanging out on site for a whole event!) I rushed to get my gear on and get launched. It did not look promising, but on my way to the inlet I noticed puffs coming in and the breeze was swinging from east to south. Late afternoon sea breeze perhaps? Perhaps…YES!
As I rounded the corner from the ICW to begin my trek out the inlet I could see the huge swells looming up against the adverse current and following breeze adding to their height. An 18 foot fishing boat passes me and three guys are in it yelling at me, “Don’t go out there!” Well, if I didn’t go I’d have nothing to talk about and sailing is one thing, but dealing with breeze and a big confused sea is a whole different animal to me. So, I continued on….

Near the mouth of the inlet the waves were really getting big and beginning to show signs of breaking as the breeze continued it’s southerly swing and increase in pressure. Screw it. I’ve come this far, I’m going.

I break out of the inlet and bear away on a beam reach heading North up the coast line. This is the easy part. Going upwind is also easy. I need to man up and get some DW sailing by the lee action in with these big swells. I pick my point between waves, get my ass in the back of the boat and bear away… I’m instantly on one of these big mothers surfing like a banshee, but I’m too scared to holler. One bad capsize in this stuff could end my regatta before it starts, but if the conditions are like this tomorrow I’ll be ready, (well at least more ready than someone who hasn’t sailed in this stuff).

OK. Starboard DW by the lee is going fine. Time to get jibe practice in and try the Port jibe DW. In this stuff you gotta jibe with speed which means try to jibe while surfing down a wave. I find my wave, jibe over and off I go again zoooooooommmmmmm! Breeze is coming harder now, (15 solid and more in gusts) and waves are beginning to break. Time to get back in before the inlet closes out.

Back to the inlet I go and it looks hairy. Having never spilt waves in a hazardous inlet before I’m wracking my brain on how to do this. I remember kayaking off the beach on summer vacation. The same theory should apply. Get between 2 waves, grab the one that comes up behind you and ride that mother as far as possible. So I come to the inlet on a reach looking for a hole. I find it, bear away, sheet out, watch the roll………Wahhhhh Hoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m not sure what it looks like from the outside, but hauling ass in a little boat between steep 6’, nearly breaking swells is pretty wild.

I make it in. I did capsize 1 time as I got a little overconfident and started mucking around with my DW angles once I got past the big swell. The boat needed a bath anyway.
So tomorrow is big Day #1. There’s a ton of talent here, (even though we’re old farts there’s a few of us that still “have it”.). I think the RC is a little freaked out having to set a line for what looks to be 110 lasers, (I told Arland my goal in pimping this event was to get 100 boats for her. In 2007 we had under 70). It will be the longest line I’ve ever been on for sure.

I brought my Motrin, Power Bars and Scotch. I should be good to go.

I’ll drop daily regatta reports every evening.

BTW. I got to see and touch the prototype laser sail Tracy Usher is dragging around with him. It's the one with the radial cut and big window. All I can say at this point is Robbie Likey!

Back