News 2008 Master World Championship (ILCA-NA)

TLF

News Robot
The 2008 Master's World Championship will be held in Terrigal, Australia, from February 17 to 23. Entries are now open and filling rapidly!!Update September 4:The entry quota has been reached but you can still get onto the waiting list. At this early stage there is a possibility that the entry quota will be raised (though no promises!). Do not delay, register now at: http://events.laserinternational.org/en/events/overview/100z11 (http://events.laserinternational.org/en/events/overview/100z11)

More...

Looks more like an Australian Nationals with a few guests than an actual World Championship.

Good point Steve. I've always felt that one of the strengths of the Masters Worlds is the large number of nations who attend. We need to take care that the Masters Worlds continues to be representative of the wide distribution of masters sailing around the globe.

Not that you can blame all those Aussie sailors for signing up quickly and securing what looks like around 200 of the 320 places available. They just followed the rules and anyone who wanted a place and didn't get one really only have themsleves to blame.

But is there a case, I wonder, at future Worlds for reserving a certain number of places for sailors from other continents, at least for a few weeks after the first date in which entries are open? Or would another option be to reserve guaranteed places for the top masters sailors such as former masters champions at the world and continental level?

And look at the waiting list. It won't be like a Masters Worlds if Dennis O'Sullivan and Keith Wilkins don't get entries.

How does the entry list for the masters in Spain look ? More representative ? I hear that one was over subscribed too and still quite a few on the waiting list. So 2 worlds only 6 months apart and both hugely popular! If the host clubs /ILCA can only manage up to 320 boats total, I wonder if they are going to have to start separating the fleets and/or age groups ? Radial Masters Worlds and Full Rig Masters worlds ? Even if they were held at the same place but separated by a week, using same lease boats etc. ILCA must be considering this surely ?

How does the entry list for the masters in Spain look ? More representative ? I hear that one was over subscribed too and still quite a few on the waiting list. So 2 worlds only 6 months apart and both hugely popular! If the host clubs /ILCA can only manage up to 320 boats total, I wonder if they are going to have to start separating the fleets and/or age groups ? Radial Masters Worlds and Full Rig Masters worlds ? Even if they were held at the same place but separated by a week, using same lease boats etc. ILCA must be considering this surely ?

On the surface, the entry list for Spain looks more representative. Not dominated by one country. Many countries with over 20 entrants. But not surprisingly the vast majority are Europeans.

But abenn makes a great point. How many other classes would love to have our problems? Huge Worlds regattas only 6 months apart and both oversubscribed. The class does need to have a debate about how to handle this. Running consecutive Radial and Full Rig Masters Worlds in the same place sounds like a neat idea. Can I sail in both?

I also hear that the idea of restricting entry to "qualified" entrants (whatever that means) is under discussion. Personally I feel it would be a retrograde step to move away from open entry to the Masters Worlds. What do others think?

Or you could try and reduce the entries by sending out a scary email. This arrived from ILCA this morning. I assume it went out to all sailors registered for the 2008 Worlds and they're not just picking on me?

After reviewing the entry list the organisers are aware that some
entrants are taking part in their first major Laser event and have asked
ILCA to emphasise to sailors that the racing area is in open water and
subject to strong winds and big waves.

The organisers have asked ILCA to remind sailors of clause 23 in the
Notice of Race particularly the statement:

"By entering in the championship and deciding to race a competitor
warrants that he or she is in good health and a competent sailor capable
of racing a Laser in open water in 25 knot winds."

If you have any doubts about your ability to race offshore in strong
winds and large waves you might like to re-consider your entry.

Or you could try and reduce the entries by sending out a scary email. This arrived from ILCA this morning. I assume it went out to all sailors registered for the 2008 Worlds and they're not just picking on me?

They should add:

After reviewing the entry list the organisers are aware that some entrants live outside AUSTRALIA. The organisers have asked ILCA to remind sailors that this regatta is in AUSTRALIA. AUSTRALIA is a long way away. If you have any doubt about your ability to sit on an aeroplane for a long time you might like to re-consider your entry.

Back