2007 NA's

Does anyone have a date for the 2007 NA's? I just received the latest issue of the Windward Leg (looks great by the way!) and there is an indication that they will be in Brant Beach, NJ in July of 2007. Anyone have definate date and/or format?

Thanks!

Mike Fortner
Rochester Canoe Club

I had spoken with National Regatta Coordinator Susan Mallows just a few weeks ago, and I can say that the NA's won't be at Brant Beach Yacht Club, NJ. They have been confirmed as the location for the 2007 Worlds between August 18-25.

During that same conversation, she said that the NA's will definitely be at Fairhope Yacht Club, AL. They are still working out the dates, but were leaning towards June or possibly early July.

Susan Mallows - Regatta Chairperson - [email protected] - 908-303-0889

http://www.bbyc.net/ - Brant Beach Yacht Club

http://www.fairhopeyachtclub.com/ - Fairhope Yacht Club

Honestly, I have no idea as to how the choices are made at the highest levels, I would assume they try to alternate by regions. 2000 Fairhope, 2001 Highland Park, 2002 Barrington, 2003 Bay Waveland, 2004 Canandaigua, 2005 Lewes, 2006 Rush Creek. If you include this coming year's NA's, you would have a 50/50 split North-South over the past 8.

Possibly, helping a club recover from the Katrina damage was a factor as well, I know that Fairhope has made renovations since Katrina.

Early rumors for 2008 is the North Americans will be at Erie Yacht Club, PA ( http://www.erieyachtclub.org/ ) if that is a consulation

I heard that the NAs site was "taken" by the Worlds folks. Something of a hostile takeover, too. Perhaps this is just a rumor, however. We were told by the new international president at the Worlds in Charleston that the 2007 Worlds would be Ontario.

I think it's very bad for the class to have the Worlds on the middle East Coast of the US in consecutive years, and bad for the NA sailors to have the NAs in the deep south two years in a row. Going to the NAs from the Northeast means 2 days in a car each way. Because of the need to trailor boats it makes large car pools unlikely. Sigh. I like the NAs.

I know for many of us in the Northeast the Worlds was the major regatta of choice last year because we could get there in a somewhat reasonable amount of time (plus no trailoring for a long drive. etc.). I assume New England will again not be heavily represented at the NAs. Not that that should be the primary concern. I'd be bothered if the NAs was in Barrington then Rochester in consecutive years.

When can we see the 2007 Worlds invitation list?

IIRC finding sites for both the NA's and World's has been more of a begging thing by the Class rather than having a "list" of sites fighting over hosting the events.

As for a list of invitee's for the world's, from the last couple you've got a better change on getting a "wild card" or of just showing up and being willing to sail to fill the "open" slots...LOL

If NA's are going to be in the south again, the club should really think about doing it a little later in the year. Jrs that live in the north east wernt out of school by the time NA's were happening, so they couldn't go down to race. Also the teachers up here cant take off work then. Last year I know a few people that wanted to go, but since they were either a teacher or student, they couldn't go.

Steve

Regarding a hostile takeover of the NAs by the worlds, there was nothing hostile about it. We were approched and asked if we would consid doing the worlds instead of the NAs as a favor to the class. As a club we are only to delight to help out a class which we are trying to encourage at our club at both the Jr. and Sr. level. On LBI there is a big push amongst Jrs. to get them in the laser radials after Optis. I for one am hoping hosting a high caliber Sunfish event, such as the NAs or the Worlds will encourage more Jrs. to consider this boat. As a club we are delighted to be hosting and look forward to this. The NOR is at BBYC.net, I hope we see you there, stop by and say "hi!" -I'll probably be in the kitchen!!!

Timing is another BIG issue. There was a couple of threads on it. Southern schools get out in May and go back in early August, with northern schools getting out at the end of June and going back right after Labor day. So the month of July is the only real overlap for the entire country. Subtract out the week of the 4th of July and you are left with basically only three weeks for any "all country" event.
And then if you hold southern regionals after August first you get lousy participation, same with northern regionals before July of after Labor day, so even the regionals can compete with the nationals or each other, or you end up with a date that a lot of folks can't manage.
This is nothing new, I can remember heated discussions back in the early 70's about the same issues we're talking about now.

Is it a done deal? That's the whole point. It was a done deal before, right? When do we know it's safe to make plans?

Not that this is about me, but I have made non-revokable plans for the week of Aug 21 already based on the idea of going to the relatively nearby NAs in NJ in June and passing on the Worlds in Aug. I even started putting feelers out for rentals in Brant Beach (you have to book early if you want to go to the Jersey Shore for a week in the summer). At least I didn't commit to that one.

2007 Worlds are set as stated above for Brant Beach, NJ. For a version of the story, give me a call.

2007 North Americans are likely to be at Fairhope, in Alabama, in late June or early July.

Schedules are kept in mind when all these things are put together, to the best of the ISCA and USSCA's abilities. There is absolutely no way to make everyone happy. So, the host Region gets what's best for them when they host. Early June is best for the Gulf Coast--New York HATES that! Mid-July is best for New York--EVERYONE else hates that! Early September is best for the Midwest sailing-conditions-wise--EVERYONE hates that, the Juniors in particular! Again, there is absolutely no way to make everyone happy.

NO ONE would want to sail in early August down there in Fairhope--no wind, 100+ every day, yeah.

Put together teams: one driver to drive down, one driver to drive back, a trailer with 2-4 boats and one to two more on top of the tow vehicle. Everyone else can then fly (save time). If you really want to make the event, planning now can make it a reality.

Both Boards are working on plans to get all of the major events pre-scheduled some 5-8 years in advance. If your Region hasn't hosted something lately, start talking amongst yourselves to figure out what would be the best site and then WHO is willing to travel to help run it, rather than simply relying only on the home club. Also, think about who in your Region could sign on as a SPONSOR to help defray the costs of the event. Then, we Sunfish sailors need to turn around and utilize our sponsors to recognize them for their support of our events. It works for other Classes, it's time for it to work for ours, too.

I got word from Clinton Edwards that we will get an announcement of North Americans dates on January 7th following a board meeting at Fairhope Yacht Club.

The worlds are a done deal, been confirmed by many sources now and a draft NOR is available at the Brant Beach Yacht Club.

I can also announce the NY Downstate Regional dates are July 14-15, 2007 at Sayville Yacht Club, this is an official date.

Any other regionals have 2007 dates to share?

Note to NY Upstate guys: Try to let me know when/where the NY Upstate Regional will be ASAP. Thanks.

Ok Ok, the dates MIGHT be....July 14,15 for the juniors and 16, 17, 18 for the grown up kids. That is the format that is preferred. Remember, that is 2008 (so you can do some LONG range planning). I have a proposal in to the class and will be the regatta chair, assuning they are OK with everything.

When are we going to have a functional website. I had thought that there was a sub-committee to take charge and oversee the Class site and it is still outdated. I feel that there are plenty of class members willing to keep the website current (on a weekly basis at the very least); however, no one who is in charge(sub-committee?) is sourcing out these qualified web people we have in our Class.

Back