2006 NAs?

58984 EW

I have been trying to figure out where the 2005 NAs will be held. Someone told me Kansas (??), but I can't seem to find a mention of that anywhere.

EW

Sunfish home page has not been up dated, I think those that do were affected by Katrina. I know Int. Masters are at Davis Island. Midwinters at Melbourne. Masters around Chicago. The South American Championchips were just up dated. Would have been nice to Know some of the dates ahead of time 30 days is short notice.

I have to make plans months ahead.

Fairwinds

At this year's NA's Todd Edwards indicated they would be in his neck of the woods (gulf coast) but since Katrina, I don't know how that affects anything. Old Geezer would probably host them but he'd probably charge $500/person and give us hot dogs and warm beer. Inflation you know.

Tim Polaski said:
Old Geezer would probably host them but he'd probably charge $500/person and give us hot dogs and warm beer. Inflation you know.

Hey - what's wrong with $500? Remember, Lewes originally wanted to charge us $190 for the 2 day Junior NAs. So if I run a 5 day event, $500 would be quite reasonable. But the hot dogs would have be extra.

The rumor I have heard is that the NA's will be at James Island Yacht Club in the Charleston, SC area...I would assume the date would be around the same time as the past 2 years, middle of July...But, like I said, this is just speculation.

oompanyc said:
The rumor I have heard is that the NA's will be at James Island Yacht Club in the Charleston, SC area...I would assume the date would be around the same time as the past 2 years, middle of July...But, like I said, this is just speculation.

Cool. Charleston would be fantastic. HELLOOOOOO Sunfish class officers...are you there.... is anybody listening? Tell us what is going on if you want us to renew our membership at the end of the year. :confused:

Last I heard the NAs were going to be held at Rush Creek Yacht Club in the Dallas, TX area sometime in June. Similar to Brian's "rumor", until something is officially announced this is just speculation.

YES, the 2006 Sunfish NA's will be held at Rush Creek Yacht Club (just outside of Dallas, Texas). Our website is www.rcyc.org. The regatta will be held in June and I will come back and post the exact dates (I don't want to get them wrong). Our club has hosted many North American events for various classes and we are really looking forward to hosting this one. We will offer some great racing and fun times off the water too. Hope to see everyone there!

Robin Johnston
Sunfish Fleet #697
RCYC, Heath, Texas

OK, got these 2006 NA dates from our Commodore (who happens also to be a Fish sailor):

Sunfish NA's: June 19th - 24th. June 19th is Opening Day, June 20 - 21 is the junior event, June 22 - 24 is the senior event.

I am sure you will be seeing more official information soon but go ahead and "save the date" and come race with us in June.

RobinJohnston said:
OK, got these 2006 NA dates from our Commodore (who happens also to be a Fish sailor):

Sunfish NA's: June 19th - 24th. June 19th is Opening Day, June 20 - 21 is the junior event, June 22 - 24 is the senior event.

I am sure you will be seeing more official information soon but go ahead and "save the date" and come race with us in June.

Thanks Robin. What are the expected weather conditions in June? Average wind speed? Temperature?

Any way to push the NA's to the following week? Any junior sailor from New York will still be in school at that time. It also excludes those from New York who happen to be teachers. My principal would kind of frown upon me calling in sick the last week of school.

Mike Fortner
Rochester Canoe Club

I second the motion for moving the dates back in the calendar a bit...Is it possible to keep the traditional dates using the precedent set over the past few years...the second week of July has been working well. If the regatta is in June, doesn't give much time for any of the northern sailors to practice...and creates many conflicts with northern racing calendars.

RobinJohnston said:

Robin,
I edit the website and if you get the Notice to me I'll get it up on the Championships box at sunfishclass.org

oompanyc said:
If the regatta is in June, doesn't give much time for any of the northern sailors to practice...and creates many conflicts with northern racing calendars.

Geeze - maybe the folk that put together the Sunfish racing calendar in the north need to arrange their regattas around the dates of the NAs and not vice versa. And maybe if you want to do well in the NAs you need to be doing some frostbite sailing now and not wait until June to start to practice.

June was selected for the NAs as the winds in Dallas in July can often be non-existent and the day time temps could be very hot. June typically has much more reliable winds and the temps should a bit more comfortable as well. In June 2005 we hosted the Sunfish Regionals South and it was 15-18 all weekend. Sveral years back the J22 Nationals were on our lake in June and they too had excellent winds all week for their event. So the decision to go with June was made with the best intentions for the sailors participating and it was moved back as far as we could in the month at the suggestion of the class office.

David Hoye
VC of Race and fellow 'fisher
Rush Creek Yacht Club

However, it does prohibit all pre-college students in the northeast from participating cause they all have final exams that week. Shouldn't we attempt to have as many juniors at the regatta as possible? After all, they are the future of the class.

Either way, its all good with me, I prefer to have wind.

oompanyc said:
If the regatta is in June, doesn't give much time for any of the northern sailors to practice...and creates many conflicts with northern racing calendars.

Brian has a good point that the northern sailors need some opportunities to practice early in the season. So how about it NE, NY and MA reps? Can we schedule some Regionals in May and June?

Are we sure these dates/location are even official? Wouldn't someone from the class have posted this information on the official website and/or on here if it was?

58984 EW said:
Are we sure these dates/location are even official? Wouldn't someone from the class have posted this information on the official website and/or on here if it was?

LMAO. You must be new to the class.:D

Old Geezer said:
So how about it NE, NY and MA reps? Can we schedule some Regionals in May and June?

WOW, are you calling me out?

I have truly grown tired of your incessant complaining. We VOLUNTEER our services for your benefit and if you feel we are not doing the job to your satisfaction then by all means throw your hat into the ring. But I get the distinct impression you would rather hide behind your screen name and throw jabs at us from the safety of your keyboard.

I'll tell you what Geezer, you tell us your real name and maybe I will try and help you out.

NE Sunfish said:
WOW, are you calling me out?

John - please don't misunderstand me - I am not complaining. I simply said "So how about it NE, NY and MA reps? Can we schedule some Regionals in May and June?"

This was a followup to a post by Brian McGuinness who said that if the NAs are in June, northern sailors might not have time to practice. My comment was meant as a constructive suggestion to you and the other regional regatta schedulers. Please accept it in that spirit.

As one who's actually sailed NY lakes for over 30 years I can safely say May isn't a month you sail without a drysuit. Many lakes are just out of ice and water temps run 35-45 degrees. A major Hobie regatta is sailed on Onieda lake in mid may every year and is called the Mad Catter, while the lake is shallow and warms quickly in the spring only the truely crazy (hense the name of the regatta) and hardiest of cat sailers with plenty of cold weather gear last the enitre regatta in most years.
There's been a fight for years over scheduling for the major regattas and regionals. Southern folks want May, June to avoid the heat and lack of wind during summer months and northerners tend to July and August when they can sail without several layers. Temperature has a lot to do with it, but school/vacation schedules also come into play.

North vs South
North sails is in August w/ breeze while southern kids have school.
South sails in June w/ breeze while northen kids have school.

If the Class wants to sail in July (the best TIME for both) then NAs should be scheduled at the same spot the same time every year. This spot would have the correct breeze, temp, off shore amentities. Does this spot exist YES, but it is not HOME to one Sunfish Sailor.

I'm so tired of this discussion. Just get over it and come to the regatta. When the Class gets 120 boats again, then it can be discussed.

If you want to complain about the Class...go find the NAs format proposal that was approved by the Class and see if the NAs are really abiding by the format. This goes for all clubs willing/wanting to host the NAs.

Clinton Edwards
If I ruffled your feathers, get over it.

I'm not sure if you were reponding to me, but I wasn't trashing anything. I was just pointing out that by mid June New England is up and running.

My response is not directed to any one individual, but the class as a whole.

Clinton

NA participation is about 80. 60 die hards and 20 local/every other year. Unfortunately, I currently fall into the second category.

Back