2006 Laser Worlds underway!

Palma Continues (Campbell Sailing)

Palma is a curious place. It seems to fit the role of Europe???s Florida, filled to the brim with cheap hotels and narrow beaches, warmer than the rest of the continent most of the year and largely populated by retirees from any number of countries from northern Europe. Around the side-streets of Ca???n Pastilla where [...]

More...

Bill Ward Wins National Coach of the Year Award/ Palma Continues (Campbell Sailing)

As written in today’s US Sailing Press Release??NATIONAL COACH of the Year: ?? Bill Ward??As a former college All-American, Georgetown University Sailing Team captain, and national champion sailor and coach, Bill Ward (Newport Beach, Calif.) possesses a uniquely unassuming and versatile focus that has fostered success at the highest levels of collegiate and Olympic [...]

More...

Palma?s Final Series Done - Medal Race Tomorrow (Campbell Sailing)

Palma finally lived up to its reputation and delivered its quota of one missed day of racing on the schedule today, but we had plenty of breeze??? It???s a decidedly longer story than it ought to be. I awoke to the palm fronds tapping against my window this morning, an issue we haven???t had with [...]

More...

CampbellSailing: 9th at Trofeo Princesa Sofia (Campbell Sailing)

Yesterday’s medal race turned out to be blowing-dogs-off-chains kind of day. We awoke to 15-18 knots of southerly breeze driving three foot waves into the Bahia Palma and it would only get windier. The majority of the fleets started around noon??while kitesurfers and windsurfers blasted along the shoreline just inside the medal-race courses. By the [...]

More...

Monday Morning Tactician: 24 March 2008 (Campbell Sailing)

This week in Palma presented a number of possible situations worthy of discussion from the Monday Morning perspective. The Medal Race is always one of those scenarios that provides an increased number of close calls and debatable decisions. As we lined up for the final approach to the starting line in the final race of [...]

More...

Monday Morning Tactician: 31 March 2008 (Campbell Sailing)

Bob McKillop, yes that Bob McKillop, the insolent yet patient coach who took his Davidson players past my Hoyas last week in the NCAA Tournament said something that struck an interesting chord last week after his squad played their way into the ‘Sweet Sixteen.’ In response to a question about whether he had expected his [...]

More...

Monday Morning Tactician: 14 April 2008 Upwind Positioning (Campbell Sailing)

First things first, I’d like to put up a little testimonial to embarrass my little brother Michael who, while sailing at Georgetown University’s Sailing practice last Thursday, had an incident exactly like the one described in this column last week. I’ll let him tell the story: At practice on Thursday, the exact situation that you described [...]

More...

Re: Monday Morning Tactician: 14 April 2008 Upwind Positioning (Campbell Sailing)

hahahaha g-town got owned by davidson

Hyeres - S.O.F. Ready to Go (Campbell Sailing)

The 40th annual Semaine Olympique Francais is primed and ready to go this Sunday after two weeks of battling Mistral and Easterly winds. The training over the last month has seen extremes of weather with weeks of 25+ offshore Mistral winds blowing cold air off the mountains from the north as well as wet and [...]

More...

Monday Morning Tactician: 5 May 2008 (Campbell Sailing)

With the routine so set in place in France last month you might think I was ready to stay. You would be wrong. After a couple of crazy connections and having a bag lost somewhere between Dublin and Philadelphia as I write, I made it back to America safe and sound. Rain greets my arrival [...]

More...

NBC Olympic Sailing Site Up and Running (Campbell Sailing)

The NBC Olympic website is up and running in full force with their sailing database updated and firing on all cylinders. I had an interview with Washington DC’s NBC4 studio last week that should go online after it airs sometime next weekend or the following week. Meanwhile, have a look around at*NBCOlympics.com. Apparently I’m athlete [...]

More...

Campbell Sailing.com Update (Campbell Sailing)

Along with the new website configuration and color scheme there is a new link containing all the current video clips available from the campaign currently online. Check it out on the sidebar under Videos or click*here.*I’m in San Diego for the end of this week taking care of loose ends, mail, receipts, bills and checks. [...]

More...

Live this Morning on KUSI San Diego (Campbell Sailing)

After a slew of interviews over the last couple of days local San Diego news network KUSI News had me on live this morning at 10am for their*Inside San Diego spotlight. Pretty cool, I was right up there with the two anchorwomen. It was sort of an “Anchorman” the movie day today interviewing with the [...]

More...

Re: Live this Morning on KUSI San Diego (Campbell Sailing)

LOL what a classic:
http://www.kusi.com/news/insidesd/18807049.html?video=pop&t=a

Mr. Campbell is a down to earth guy. LOL The women thought they had a wild card for moment there, totally losing control of the interview. LOL

Suddenly blog comments like: "...So little brain power gets used on the Laser racecourse it is incredible..." gain overall context. You don't usually find these sorts of statements from any one else other than Chris Dickson. LOL

good on ya mate!

Re: Live this Morning on KUSI San Diego (Campbell Sailing)

It's a very pink interview. Even too much for me.

New West Marine Article (Campbell Sailing)

Last week was a busy one. I spent a few days at home in San Diego and managed to have two magazine interviews, a magazine photo shoot, two television interviews (one live on KUSI), and still got to spend a mother’s day weekend sailing with Mom and the Javelin J105 team. Here’s a great article [...]

More...

US Olympic Sailing Team Website Up and Running (Campbell Sailing)

The new US Sailing Team website:*http://www2.ussailing.org/Page4.aspx*is up and running. Going into the Games this should have day-to-day updates on the rest of the team and how everybody’s doing and what we’re going through to get ready. I’ll put the link on the sidebar of the website, but feel free to take a look and check [...]

More...

Delta Lloyd Holland Regatta Set to Start (Campbell Sailing)

Medemblik greeted me with an apparently standard Dutch greeting: a rainy, windy, cold slap in the face. The reality of why I have not been to Holland in five years since my first Olympic-circuit Laser regatta hit me as I pulled into the boatpark and the rain started coming down and the temp struggled into [...]

More...

Holland Regatta Three Races on Day One (Campbell Sailing)

Rarely on our schedule do we end up sailing more than two races a day. Yet, the organizers of Holland’s Grade One event have scheduled us for exactly that for the entire event. Three races per day starting at 1300 hours each day. Yesterday, day one of five we started at two o’clock with about [...]

More...

11 Days to the Big Show (Campbell Sailing)

Its a surreal existence here at the Olympic Sailing Center Qingdao. In reality, its been a surreal existence throughout the last three years sailing full time on the Olympic-class sailing circuit. The boatracing is intense, fast and at times frustrating. The improvement is constant albeit slow-going. Because the US system to this point puts so [...]

More...

Measurement? (Campbell Sailing)

What is there to measure in a class of boats where the organizing authority of the event provides all the equipment to the sailors? As laughable as it is, the Laser class does have to go through a measurement, even at events where equipment is provided, mainly to check the rigging systems, to confirm that [...]

More...

Wish Good Luck to Team USA Sailors! (Campbell Sailing)

If you want to try and rival SDYC for their awesome show of support of it’s Olympians:FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASEWish Good Luck to Team USA Sailors!Qingdao, China (August 1, 2008) ??? Now you can send your best wishes to anyone on the United States Olympic Sailing Team through [email protected]. Whether you???d like to mail one sailor [...]

More...

Village Idiots (Campbell Sailing)

The dog-days of this campaign are certainly finished, and without a doubt we are in the home stretch into the Olympic regatta. Now, more than ever I am forcing myself to take days off from sailing and tapering my training routines. I’ve reached my fighting weight of 168 pounds for the first time since I [...]

More...

Forrest Gump Moments (Campbell Sailing)

It’s been a hectic but amazing couple of days here in China. Friday morning we woke early for a seven o’clock bus to the airport. Sailors filled almost four touring buses and piled into a chartered 767 and took off for the massive Beijing Capitol Airport. We arrived at about 11 and were ushered off [...]

More...

Just 45 Laser Dudes Going Around Trapezoids? (Campbell Sailing)

That’s what happened today on Course A situated just off the massive spectator pier under the Qingdao skyline.??Nearly fifty countries competing in the Laser for three medals after eleven races. Sounds like just another boatrace. Yet, this one is distinct beyond all others. Years of planning and training for the Heaps upon heaps of [...]

More...

Banner Day for USA Sailing (Campbell Sailing)

What a day for our team today! With Zach and Anna still in podium positions, the rest of the US team picked up the slack yesterday taking first place finishes in all three 49er races, the Yngling race, one of the men’s 470 races, and on the Laser racecourse.????We had to wait for our thrill [...]

More...

AP Flags Droop Over Qingdao (Campbell Sailing)

Yesterday was a hot and steamy day down at the boat park totally void of any wind. The postponement flags (AP) went up at 11 o’clock and only came down briefly at around 4 in the afternoon, so that they could attach flag A underneath to signal that the day was officially abandoned and races [...]

More...

Waiting for Wind, Breezy Forecast for Sunday (Campbell Sailing)

We’ve had two trying days here in Qingdao. Light air and heavy flood current made racing yesterday marginal at best. We went out, returned to shore for an hour and half postponement and then went back out before racing Friday. Yesterday we went afloat in a breezy offshore northerly. After setting a course [...]

More...

Great Conditions, but. (Campbell Sailing)

Just imagine the following scenario: 15-20 knots, direction steady between 75-85 degrees, 4-5 foot waves, dying ebb switching to flood tide (keeping the fleet off the starting line), start time an hour earlier than normal (posted at 1200), and three races scheduled. What could be more welcoming to a race committee? Unfortunately, with the addition [...]

More...

Final Olympic Regatta Report (Campbell Sailing)

After avoiding the internet altogether the last few days I was in China, I had better get back to business here. As many CampbellSailing.com readers may have seen, the end of my Olympic regatta was no walk in the park. The final day of racing was a phenomenal day of sailing. Uncommon westerly breeze filled [...]

More...

The Next Step (Campbell Sailing)

One of my favorite parts about the Olympic Games and any event under the umbrella of the USOC is the constant care, attention and assistance that you receive while in that high level event. I’ve been lucky enough to participate in three of those events at three levels: the 2005 World University Games in Turkey, [...]

More...

Hurricane Hanna blows out Silver Heel Racing (Campbell Sailing)

Unfortunately, the effects of Hurricane Hannah blew out our weekend of racing on the Silver Heel against the fleet of Log Canoes in St Michael’s Maryland this weekend. Forced to postpone likely until next year, we’ll turn to some other racing through the rest of the fall season here. Here’s a shot from last year:*Meanwhile, [...]

More...

Re: Hurricane Hanna blows out Silver Heel Racing (Campbell Sailing)

God I love St. Michaels... I'm sorry about the race being cancelled - but I'd like nothing better than to be sitting at The Crab Claw with beer and crabs right now :)

Speeches and Boatracing (Campbell Sailing)

Speeches and boatracing: just about sums up these last few weeks. Since coming home from China I’ve been in the process of tackling my small slice of real life, albeit staying as far away from an office as possible. Beyond a failed log canoe weekend, I’ll have spent three weekends making the mad Friday dash [...]

More...

Monday Morning Tactician: 29 September 2008 (Campbell Sailing)

I made it back on the water this weekend on Long Island Sound racing aboard Rima2 a Reichel/Pugh 55 based out of Stamford, CT. Having spent some time on boats of that size, I certainly knew what to expect, but in reality it was one of the first times I had been given total responsibility [...]

More...

Back