2006 Laser Worlds underway!

Postcards from Newport: A Day in the Life (Campbell Sailing)

This evening, instead of the typical Monday Morning Tactician, I’ll give you a rundown of a “normal” day in the life of a campaigner. I had the pleasure of speaking at the Island Heights Yacht Club in New Jersey this weekend and was particularly impressed with the number of honest questions regarding the day-to-day practice [...]

More...

Re: Postcards from Newport: A Day in the Life (Campbell Sailing)

Hey, I understand the limits of blogs and honestly n all, but this kind of thing does you a disservice and gives the false impression you dithered your way to the top by putting in 2 1/2 hours a day sailing.

You'd be better off constructing an imaginary "average day" where you add up gym time, travel time, sailing time, strategy time, eating time, regatta time etc over the period of a year, month or week and recalculating it into 24hrs. Even though such a day wouldn't truely have happened, it would be more "honest".

Then to bring the science back into reality you could add your personal philosophy of not beating yourself up about slack days, mistakes etc or whatever angle it is you have.

Best of luck.

Monday Morning Tactician: 24 September 2007, Spinning ‘Round in Circles (Campbell Sai

Topics of conversation between sailors often spiral out of control towards argument. The beauty of that lack of control is the healthy variety of themes the conversations produce. For whatever reason, the topic most striking on our list this week is where and how*it is appropriate to exonerate yourself on the racecourse by means of [...]

More...

Re: Monday Morning Tactician: 24 September 2007, Spinning ‘Round in Circles (Campbell

Andrew, interesting scenarios, but I think I have some answers for you. My friend the US Sailing International Judge said he has seen this scenario several times and the skipper was always DSQ'd. Reasoning, the tack and/or gybe were all considered part of racing and not part of a penalty turn.
On another note, one tack and one gybe is not a 360, it really could be a 270, and perfectly legal. Read Dave Perry's book, he's got an nice little picture that shows this scenario.
Hey, and good luck on the campaign, if you're ever in S Carolina, look me up for some racing.

Re: Monday Morning Tactician: 24 September 2007, Spinning ‘Round in Circles (Campbell

Andrew, interesting scenarios, but I think I have some answers for you. My friend the US Sailing International Judge said he has seen this scenario several times and the skipper was always DSQ'd. Reasoning, the tack and/or gybe were all considered part of racing and not part of a penalty turn.

Thanks for posting this, PowerG. I thought that Andrew's theory was a little suspect. I wish him well on his Olympic campaign, too.

Training Continues… (Campbell Sailing)

Yesterday with the southwesterly blowing and a building sea,*we decided to take the boats up to Pt Judith and run the 13 miles downwind back to Third Beach. The run took about two and a half hours with CampbellSailing.com Staff Coach Nick Deane taking film from our donated rib from Island Heights Yacht Club. In [...]

More...

Postcards From Newport: 1 October 2007 (Campbell Sailing)

With four weeks*of solid training completed here in Middletown, Rhode Island, I’ll be laying fairly low this last week before our trials starts. All the sailing that could have been done, has been done. The techniques have been tried and tested. Endurance has been improved in the gym and on the water. Boat-on-boat scenarios have [...]

More...

A Huge Win in Newport (Campbell Sailing)

As we might have noticed, I took the week off from writing reports here on CampbellSailing.com and handed the reigns to staff reporters (and great friends) Nick Deane and Jackie Schmitz. Through the series of literally hundreds of text messages, emails, and phone conversations, Ryan Costello and others were able to us the GeorgetownSailing.org website [...]

More...

Monday Morning Tactician - 29 October 2007 (Campbell Sailing)

With one full year of the Monday Morning Tactician columns I am*happy to get back down to writing. Thankfully the editor-in-chief is not very strict on his deadlines otherwise I would likely be out of the job after taking the last couple of weeks off. As the last few posts from the Olympic Trials may [...]

More...

New York Yacht Club Fundraiser and Golden Spinnaker Gala (Campbell Sailing)

The 2008 US Olympic Sailing Team was hosted by the New York Yacht Club in Manhattan for their famed Golden Spinnaker Gala. Close to 300 people showed their support by attending as well as bidding on numerous live and silent auction items and all enjoyed a wonderful dinner in many of the clubs amazing dining [...]

More...

Monday Morning Tactician: 19 November 2007 - West Coast v. East Coast (Campbell Saili

Finally, I’ve made it back to the majority of my duffle bags in Washington, DC after spending the last week and a half traveling to San Diego, New York and Los Angeles for fundraisers, US Sailing Team meetings, public relations events, physician meetings, and US Olympic*Team*orientations.Now at*my*makeshift office on my computer and cell phone here [...]

More...

Post-Thanksgiving Monday Morning Tactician: 26 November 07 (Campbell Sailing)

As the United States officially enters its Holiday Season, we certainly had plenty to be thankful for at our Thanksgiving holiday last Thursday. Besides most people having the day off from work, and plenty of ovens across the nation filled to the brim with turkeys and fixings, I have hundreds of donors and sponsors as [...]

More...

Monday Morning Tactician: 3 Dec 2007 - Red Highways (Campbell Sailing)

William Least Heat-Moon, despite a wild name managed to write quite a good book in 1982 titled Blue Highways: A Journey into America. Along similar lines to Bill Bryson’s The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America and best of all John Steinbeck’s Travels with Charley, Heat-Moon’s book describes an extended journey along the “blue highways,” [...]

More...

Monday Morning Tactician - Down Under (Campbell Sailing)

Please excuse the delayed posting of this week’s edition of Monday Morning Tactician. Getting ahold of the internet was not the top priority of yesterday’s business. Here’s a look as to how it went:The reverse-redeye flightn going westbound from San Francisco overnight to Sydney went without much worth comment, albeit I did jump about 100 [...]

More...

Sails For New Years (Campbell Sailing)

Tomorrow is the start of the 2007 Sydney International Regatta here at the Woollahra Sailing Club in Rose Bay. Upon arrival in Sydney we had three days of mediocre weather by Australian standards: low 70s and partly cloudy, but the two days since and the forecast for the upcoming weekend shows healthy seabreeze conditions with [...]

More...

Sydney International Under Way (Campbell Sailing)

A typical Saturday in December on Sydney Harbor can be quite a scene. Add a few hundred Olympic one designs to the mix and you’ve got one of the most cowded sailing areas in the world. Local clubs around the harbor are running their own races for classic 18-footers, Etchells, and hundreds of PHRF style [...]

More...

Light Air Dominates Day Two at SIRs (Campbell Sailing)

Sydney International regatta was put on hold this morning in muggy warm and windless conditions. The Laser fleet sat ashore two hours behind it’s ten o’clock scheduled start time waiting for a light pre-frontal southerly to fill. When we did finally get on the water we were submitted to one race in marginal light air [...]

More...

Tough Day at the Office (Campbell Sailing)

Three races were sailed yesterday in some trying cold-front conditions yesterday on Sydney harbor. Rain cells and high clouds dominated the weather as a strong 15-28 knot southwesterly blasted the fleets. The eighty lasers, having arrived on time for their start but before the 49ers were finished up on our course, huddled for shelter in [...]

More...

Tenth at Sydney International (Campbell Sailing)

After redemption day here in Sydney, with two top ten finishes to end the regatt, I could only manage to scrape back to tenth overall in the standings. A very squirrelly and puffy 8-14 knot southerly and an early ten o’clock start gave us decent but confusing conditions in which to sail our last race. [...]

More...

Into the New Year - Aussie Nationals (Campbell Sailing)

Three days of racing done here at the Austrailian Nationals and New Years Day was a layday before the final three days of the event. We had a longish three race day on the 30th with 12-15 knots of very steady southeasterlies. I managed to have a very consistent 4, 4, 4 in the three [...]

More...

More Wind at Aussie Nationals (Campbell Sailing)

Another windy day at the office here in Blairgowrie. A 12-20 knot easterly with bigger chop than we had seen so far greeted us when we arrived on site around midday. With the fleets split for the final time in gold and silver fleets for the last two days the racing closed up a bit [...]

More...

Aussie Nationals Wrap-up (Campbell Sailing)

After a couple of days of running between accommodation and scrambling to houses and pubs that have the football games on satellite, I’ve got some time to sit down and wrap up the Aussie Nationals.Six days of racing spread over the New Years week certainly allowed a wide variety of conditions over the sandbars on [...]

More...

Big Seabreeze for SailMelbourne Day 1 (Campbell Sailing)

The first day at SailMelbourne turned out to be windier than forcast. Nevertheless with green water and blue sky a seabreeze of about 15-18 solid knots filled in towards the city. Almost 75 degrees and a steep chop made the racing not only difficult but quite enjoyable. Downwind sailing is almost a non-stop plane and [...]

More...

SailMelbourne Done, King of the Docklands Tomorrow (Campbell Sailing)

With SailMelbourne’s medal rac sailed today in absolutely miserable breeze, we had the afternoon to pack up the container full of boats to get on their way in time for Barcelona and Palma in March 10,000 miles away. With my boat stuffed bewteen three 49ers and a hard place, my concentration for the next twnety-four [...]

More...

“King of the Docklands” SB3 Challenge a Success (Campbell Sailing)

Yesterday literally in the shadows of the Telstra Dome stadium and the skyscrapers of the newest downtown borough of Melbourne, the Docklands, twenty teams of sailors put it all on the line for their chance at a brand new electric scooter (yes, that’s right) in the “Vectrix King of the Docklands Regatta.” Very puffy 12-20 [...]

More...

Terrigal Update (Campbell Sailing)

The fleet has arrived in force here in Terrigal, Australia awaiting the upcoming 2008 Laser World Championships. With racing starting on February 6th, the fleet is in full training mode with about a week to go. That means there are easily 100 boats on the water often lining up for impromptu rabbit starts with as [...]

More...

Dark and Stormy Day 1 in Terrigal (Campbell Sailing)

With clear skies and warm, humid temperatures near 80 degrees early in the morning down in the boatpark on the*supposed*opening day of racing at the 2008 Laser World Champinoships we knew one thing was going to happen: thunderstorms.*We were postponed ashore waiting for the southerly to fill in front of a ‘cool change’ (as the [...]

More...

More Clouds, Two Races on Day 2 (Campbell Sailing)

The sixth consecutive morning of rain greeted us on a soggy cricket pitch that serves as our boat park on the second day of the Laser Worlds. We headed out to the course area for an on-time start, but found ourselves yet again delayed as the rain dissippated and the wind tried to steady itself. [...]

More...

Laser Worlds Update: Days 3 & 4 (Campbell Sailing)

To nobody’s surprise, the rain continued on the third day of the championship here in Terrigal and after*an hour delay on shore waiting for a storm to pass we headed out under still gloomy skies. With storm cells littering the ocean over the course area, the wind never stabilized long enough for a course to [...]

More...

Laser Worlds 2008 Final Report (Campbell Sailing)

The final day of racing in Terrigal was called off due to rough weather and a passing system. “The ducks [power boats] never would have been able to survive mcuh less set a course,” said one of the volunteers regarding the increased swell and 20-25 knot breezes. The weather was probably raceable, but just not [...]

More...

Monday Morning Tactician: 3 March ‘08 - Breaking the Cover (Campbell Sailing)

After a couple of weeks of R, R & R (Rest, Recovery and Reorganization) at home in San Diego, I’m back on the road again stopping briefly in Washington, DC to spend a few days teamracing with the Georgetown Hoyas and catching up with former teammates in the city. I leave for Europe on March [...]

More...

Scuttlebutt #2546 Rules Question (Campbell Sailing)

An interesting rules question went through the Scuttlebutt threads this week, and the rules were discussed and then corrected and explained. But, as often happens with rules discussions, the tactical ramifications of the scenario were not discussed. It is well and good to discuss the rules and debate their nuances, but without putting them in [...]

More...

Palma Set to Start (Campbell Sailing)

The annual week of Spanish Olympic sailing is set to start today under sunny skies and dying northerly breeze off Palma de Mallorca in the western Mediterranean. Trofeo Princesa Sofia is traditionally the first event of the European spring circuit and should live up to its reputation as the best tune up for the upcoming [...]

More...

Day 1 Trofeo Princesa Sofia (Campbell Sailing)

Today we had a leisurely two o’clock start on the Laser racecourse at Palma’s Princess Sofia Regatta. The sun was out but not very strong in the cool 55-degree 8-10 knot southerly that dominated the day. Before today the racing area was mostly flat calm aside from the wake of practicing boats and their accompanying [...]

More...

Day 2 Palma - Swell, Sun and Seabreeze (Campbell Sailing)

We had yet another spectacular day for sailboat racing here off the south shore of Mallorca today. Right on cue at 12 o’clock the seabreeze filled across the Bahia de Palma to a light-moderate 7-10 knots out of the south matched with a smaller swell than previous days. The sun was out but temperatures struggled [...]

More...

Back