2006 Laser Worlds underway!

SFBayLaser

The website for the 2006 Laser Worlds is http://www.laserworld2006.com/ (though I have not been able to make it work right with Firefox, only IE). Big breeze for first day, it sounds like, and a fair fraction (47 of 129) scored DNF!

Andrew Campbell is doing a more or less daily blog on his website.

I cannot get it to work in IE 7 (neither text nor graphic versions. If it needs a specific version of IE 6 that's a pretty "poor show".

Ian

Re: US Pan-Am Trials (Olympic Pre-Trial)

The usual suspects.

Andrew Campbell and Brad Funk both had a great series and ended up tied on points. Andrew won the tiebreaker.

Anna Tunicliffe and Paige Railey also had a fierce battle. It looked for a while that Paige would be number one based on the tiebreaker, but she lost a protest from the tenth and final race. Hence, Anna became the winner.

Does anyone know what the protest was all about?

Wavedancer said:
Does anyone know what the protest was all about?
According to Anna's website :

"I was sailing a little higher than Paige on the reach and beginning to roll over her when she luffed to protect her lead. I responded immediately, but my boom touched her boat seconds later, setting up a windward leeward protest. Paige maintained her lead despite my efforts to catch her and she crossed the line in first place. I was second. It all came down to the protest and the jury disqualified Paige."

OK so now I am really curious. How does the leeward boat end up being tossed for "touching" a weather boat??

Note: I have a high opinion regarding each of the sailors, hope they both prosper, and realy don't care which one wins any particular event.

I am simply curious and want more info.

Seems the way Anna has it worded is that Paige didn't give her room to keep clear. ala 16.1

'Course we are only going to get endless speculation here - pehaps an email to Anna would get a reply....

49208 said:
Seems the way Anna has it worded is that Paige didn't give her room to keep clear. ala 16.1

16.1 When a right-of-way boat changes course, she shall give the other boat room to keep clear.

A video to see what really happened would be instructive....

Anna was passing Paige on the reach and she threw in a quick luff. The judges were right there so I don't think there was any question Anna could not have avoided contact. It was an awsome race to watch and these two sailors deserve credit for being the best Radial sailors currently in the world. It bodes well for the US chances to medal in 2008.

BRace said:
Anna was passing Paige on the reach and she threw in a quick luff. The judges were right there so I don't think there was any question Anna could not have avoided contact.

Thanks for the info; good to know what really happened.

OCR Day Four is a Blowout (Campbell Sailing)

We arrived on site to 73 degrees and partly cloudy skies with not even the slightest breeze rustling through the leaves on the trees. The race committee held the Lasers ashore for about an hour to wait for the impending cold front to advance across the state of Florida and get to within range of [...]

More...

Rolex Miami OCR Footage (Campbell Sailing)

Check out some great helicopter footage as well as interviews and racing shots from Miami OCR’s Day 5 on the Laser course at JobsonSailing.com. Keep a look out for CampbellSailing.com in 170817.

More...

Monday Morning Tactician (29 Jan 2007) (Campbell Sailing)

Last week sailing in the Rolex Miami Olympic Classes Regatta there were hundreds of incidents worth analyzing from the Monday Morning Tactician, as is the case during any event with more than 100 boats and 12 races. In particular, there is one area of my racing that could have helpedÂ*yield better results: my starts. Generally, [...]

More...

Monday Morning Tactician (5 Feb 2007) - Learning Curves (Campbell Sailing)

Around noon on a sunny, light air day last week at the US Sailing Center in Miami, in that pot-holed driveway lined with palms, I had a chance meeting with Jesse Fielding. Jesse is one of the 30 sailors I got to meet and judge during the Morning Light Project Selection Trials.Â*He wasÂ*one of the [...]

More...

Monday Morning Tactician (12 Feb 2007) (Campbell Sailing)

“A close duck is as good as a close cross…” Discuss…While chatting about day’s racing during the recent Rolex Miami OCR, we came to an interesting point of contention. When sailing upwind on port tackÂ*we oftenÂ*are forcedÂ*to make decisions about either crossing, tacking in the leebow position, or ducking starboard tack boats as they sail [...]

More...

Monday Morning Tactician (19 Feb 2007) - Room to Tack (Campbell Sailing)

‘Room to Tack’ is one of the largest and greyest grey areas in the rulebook. There are two situations over the next two weeks that I would like to look at in depth.Â*Both involve close situations with starboard tackers and the lack of clarity that most people find in the rules written as they are. Situation: [...]

More...

Re: Monday Morning Tactician (19 Feb 2007) - Room to Tack (Campbell Sailing)

I totally disagree w/this. Bert is out for sure for failing to keep clear of the Starboard tack boat. It is clear that he either waited too long before hailing for room to tack or was not paying attention to oncoming traffic.

Looks like Clyde commits a tactical error them hopes no one will notice the breaking of rules (part 2 section A, 11 and section B, 15, 16.1,16.2) Calling starboard is not relevent. He gives the windward boat no chance to keep clear and does not voluntarily duck both boats until collision is likely.

Not sure what the obstruction rule has to do with this scenario:

If Al was a wharf then Bert would be obliged to tack after asking for room. But Al is no longer an obstruction once he tacks. Racing boats are not obstructions unless they are required to keep clear, and Al keeps clear by tacking.

I agree with Campbell's analysis. He makes it pretty clear that Bert did everything he needed to do according to the rules, including tacking after the windward boat tacked, and as much as he could have done in the time given.
The obstruction in this case is not Al. The obstruction is the starboard-tack boat (Clyde). The only possible way that a rule was broken here is if the committee decided that by saying, "you tack," and then tacking himself, Al was not keeping clear.

Upcoming Laser Midwinter (ISAF Grade 1) (Campbell Sailing)

Along with an updated schedule for the coming year (2007), please feel free to stay up to date here at CampbellSailing.comÂ*for updates to this weekend’s Laser Midwinters in Clearwater Beach, Florida. This event will determine US entriesÂ*to the Laser Worlds this coming summer, the US Sailing Team, and ISAF Rankings for the upcoming spring and [...]

More...

Mids East Day 1, Light and Lumpy (Campbell Sailing)

Two races were sailed in exceedingly light conditions in the Gulf of Mexico off Clearwater Beach today. A westerly swell of less thanÂ*2 feet ran under a northwesterly shifting to westerly breeze of less thanÂ*6 knots the entire day. Barely race-able conditions were the theme of today’s sailing, and yet the fleet remained consistent at [...]

More...

Mids East Day 2, Three Races Sailed (Campbell Sailing)

Three races were sailed today in relatively light air. The breeze was not nearly as light as we saw yesterday, save the first beat of the first race of the day. However, the fluky, streaky breeze conditions and confused swell and seastate made for difficult racing. A west swell of less than a foot, nevertheless [...]

More...

Sun, Breeze, and Three More Races on Mids East Day 3 (Campbell Sailing)

Under clear and sunny skies with wind blowing offshore at 12-18 knots, the Laser fleet set off for the racecourse for three races to start its gold and silver fleet series. Large, streaking shifts ran across the course area all day, making strategy difficult, and consistency nearly absent throughout the fleet. As the morning turned [...]

More...

Midwinters East Ends in Day 4 Fury (Campbell Sailing)

An hour-earlier ten o’clock start this morning greeted the fleet with 13-18 knots and building chop out of the south-southeast. We sailed one race straight away, and after a rough start, and a clearing tack, I found myself trying to come back through the fleet. I rounded the first mark about 15th, after being 10th [...]

More...

MondayMorningTactician - 26 Feb 2007 - What can I do better? (Campbell Sailing)

So here comes a true Monday Morning Tactician. What could I have done better this past weekend? This seems like a common thread amongst all sailors, and indeed all athletes every time they compete.This will be a little discussion of how I look at the weekend, and the Midwinters in a way that only the [...]

More...

Re: MondayMorningTactician - 26 Feb 2007 - What can I do better? (Campbell Sailing)

So here comes a true Monday Morning Tactician. What could I have done better this past weekend? This seems like a common thread amongst all sailors, and indeed all athletes every time they compete.This will be a little discussion of how I look at the weekend, and the Midwinters in a way that only the [...]

More...
Gap#1: Sailing to windward in 15knots of breeze and big (?) waves. I’ve found that if the wavelength (not wave height) is almost as long as the boat, heeling the boat just a fraction is better than staying flat and slamming into troughs. Otherwise speed drops very quickly. The boat may not be as well balanced, but the heel helps to ease the boat into the troughs. In a short choppy sea, you can’t tack around wave patterns that don’t have flat patches.

Gap#2: Mindless fitness. Oh jeeze not that again... Finding solutions to errors by sailing them out and general practice I enjoy, but mindless fitness training gets boring really quickly.

Missing mark flag:

flagm.jpg

“The object displaying this flag replaces a missing mark. (may also be accompanied by repetitive sounds)”

This I did not know. Now I do. Thanks Morning Morning Tactician!

Re: MondayMorningTactician - 26 Feb 2007 - What can I do better? (Campbell Sailing)

Mindless fitness training may be boring to some, but no-one is going to anywhere near the top of the Laser game without lots of it. Set yourself some challenging sailing goals and keep them in mind while doing the fitness training. It's the best motivation I know, and puts the boredom into the background pretty quickly.

From Clearwater to San Diego (Campbell Sailing)

After more than three days of driving, I made it back to the west coast last night for a couple weeks of recovery, reorganization, writing and training here in San Diego before starting off for the European spring season.AfterÂÂ*sevenÂÂ*orÂÂ*eightÂÂ*hours of driving in 20-30 mph headwinds, the pedal permanently to the metal, down in fourth gear, [...]

More...

Monday Morning Tactician (5 March 07) After the Start (Campbell Sailing)

After coaching the 420 Midwinters in Jensen Beach, Florida for the third year in a row, a few themes have started to become recurrent in my notes. One of the most critical of those was the handling of the first 100 yards of sailing after the start. In researching a completely different subject for this [...]

More...

Re: Monday Morning Tactician (5 March 07) After the Start (Campbell Sailing)

I would have to agree with reason 2. The strategy relies on the fact that you are the fastest boat in the fleet.

Monday Morning Tactician (12 March 2007) Leebow Effect: Debunked (Campbell Sailing)

One theory that must be put to rest without hesitation is the famed Leebow Effect. ManyÂÂ*revered and heralded sailorsÂÂ*have presented cases for such an effect and the Monday Morning Tactician wishes to drag into the lightÂÂ*all those under the spell of vile Leebow Effect. I will put my hypothesis forward with full knowledge of the [...]

More...

Back