2005 Nationals

rjsailnsd

First off, Well done MBYC race committee. The course was well managed and races went off without a hitch. S Finkboner ended up winning, S Taylor 2nd and Brian Janney 3rd. Basically the cream rose to the top out of 7 races. The Silver fleet was won by Kathy Jollie, new to sailing and racing (less than a year for racing). She teamed up with a top notch sailor, so things went well. I can't recall the other winners. Big disapointment, the low number of boats, 20 total. Seems like every year less people are racing, bummer. We missed those that couldn't be here to race!

Also, I think its time for the boats to be measured so everyone knows the playing field is level. Many boats didn't meet class standards but no action was taken. Sails measurement is needed too. Any way , I sailed poorly, so it was tough weekend for me, no biggy.

Thanks to the class for putting on the event, now how do we make it bigger and better? Ideas?

Measuring Boats

I think short of putting up a spinaker or a motor 'anything' goes should be the rules for the C14.2's. After all, we're not sailing for the America's Cup.
RT

measuring boats

so do u want to race against boats that are faster than you or do you want everyone to have a fair shot at doing well.

I think its great you realize its not the America's Cup as some do not. Please do realize it is a one design boat with class rules of measurement and by laws. Measement for National championships is not limited to high end racing. As you may know classes such as sabots, optis, Lehmans, Lasers, Snipes, Lightning, Lidos, Finns, Solings, Etchells, Santana 20s, etc... all measure there boats. They do this to insure level racing because it makes for better, closer racing which is more fun for all involved. I guess maybe the Capri fleet isn't interested so it will remain a less than so-so od. Too bad for the class. I'm quessing the numbers of racers in this fleet will continue to decline as they continue to get smoked by those that sail modified boats.

Unregistered said:
I think short of putting up a spinaker or a motor 'anything' goes should be the rules for the C14.2's. After all, we're not sailing for the America's Cup.
RT

Your statement is rather strange. This is not a box rule boat like an IACC, a TP52 or a 505 to name a few classes, it is a one design. If I followed your quote, I could lighten the boat, show up with a carbon fiber rig, high tech string/ mylar sails, big roached flat top main , some hiking racks and so on. That's not the issue and its silly, but the sailors that have done the little things that you say are not a problem are the big problem, you just don't understand how much little changes to the boat amount to on the race course. Your a good guy Randy and I'm happy you did well in silver but look at the performance change I made to your boat by just getting the traveller to the right height. Don't forget to get a longer pole. If the rules don't matter than your throwing the baby out with the bath water. Classes grow on on good rules, look to the better classes and you'll see.

No other regionals. Boats don't travel in from all over the country to do the National yet. This national ends up being very local to So CA and AZ.

rjsailnsd said:
Your statement is rather strange. This is not a box rule boat like an IACC, a TP52 or a 505 to name a few classes, it is a one design. If I followed your quote, I could lighten the boat, show up with a carbon fiber rig, high tech string/ mylar sails, big roached flat top main , some hiking racks and so on. That's not the issue and its silly, but the sailors that have done the little things that you say are not a problem are the big problem, you just don't understand how much little changes to the boat amount to on the race course. Your a good guy Randy and I'm happy you did well in silver but look at the performance change I made to your boat by just getting the traveller to the right height. Don't forget to get a longer pole. If the rules don't matter than your throwing the baby out with the bath water. Classes grow on on good rules, look to the better classes and you'll see.

I agree, small changes on the boat can make differences on the race course. But in my estimation they are negligible compared with crew work and catching the right shifts. A good mark rounding makes way more difference than 10 hours wet sanding.
The Capri 14 is an ideal boat for getting into racing. Complicating its class rules will
not help the class, but rather hurt it.
As for successful racing classes, with few exceptions the most successful classes
are the ones which are not tied to a single builder, but rather consist of a design and measurement rules that can be replicated by anyone (Stars, FD's, Snipes etc.).
Thanks to the statement "as supplied by the manufacturer" in the class rules, the C14 will never become a class like these. And I think we also don't want to.

wh

I'm not saying boat preperation is this difference and anyway wet sanding is not outside the class rules for this boat. When a competitor increases his/hers boat's performance by skirting the rules of the class it is wrong and hurtful to that class. Using lighter sail cloth weights, sailing without proper centerboard stops, hoisting sails beyond mast and boom sail limits, modifying speaders, fairing beyond the class rules, using sails the don't measure, etc..., all provide extra illegal advantage beyond class rules. The class doesn't need more rules as they are already in the class book, they just need to make sure rules are followed, imo. Yes, missed shifts, crew work, boat prep, course management all figure in winning and losing but if all sail equally as well, for example, the "cheat boat" has a better chance of winning. That's just not good.

Regarding the builder limiting the US fleet, I don't see that as the issue (Vanguard = Laser these days) and its not the point I'm trying to make about class rules.

Back