2005 NA's

Well, I'm officially signed up. Who else is coming?

Note the June 12th deadline for early registration.

Tim

....gotta change my avatar

Watch out for sharks!

A kid had part of his foot bitten off by a great white just a few miles up the coast last week. :eek:

Actually, no part of the foot was bitten off - just a flesh wound. And it was about 77 miles away, not "just a few miles." Are you coming to this event or staying away due to likliehood of shark attack - or the need to use a plastic board to be competitive???? Enquiring minds want to know.

BB

OK OK .... he didn't actually lose part of his foot. My bad. But he did need 63 stitches. And the pics I saw of the wound were UGLY. :eek:

As for 77 miles.... great white sharks average swimming speed is 2 mph but they can burst up to 15 mph when pursuing prey. So our friend can easily get from Surf City to Lewes in a couple of days.

Am I coming? Dunno yet. If I do come, I won't be dangling any body parts in the water.

Some facts about great white sharks...

General Information: The Great White Shark has been the feature in such movies as Jaws , Jaws 2 , Jaws Revenge , Shark Attack & Shark Attack 2. It is the most popular and deadliest shark in the ocean.

Size: The Great White Shark is the biggest of all the deadliest sharks, There have been reports of Great Whites exceeding 20 feet in length and weighing in at over 7000 lbs. Normally a fully grown mature Great White will be in the 13ft to 17ft range and weigh around 2 - 4000lbs. Females are also larger then males.

Teeth: Mature Great Whites have teeth in the 1 1/2" to 2" range usually, but there are known modern teeth that are over 2 1/2" long. Even though most places report Great whites as having max. 3 inch teeth , there are no modern teeth close to that size. However there are fossil teeth of great whites that not only meet 3" but exceed it. Our Last report shows the biggest Great White fossil tooth found was over 3 1/2"!

Feeding Habits: The primary diet for Great Whites are sea lions and seals, but they will also eat sea turtles, otters smaller whales or if they can find any they will also eat dead fish whales or animals in the water. Younger Great Whites eat fish, rays and smaller sharks. Great White Sharks do not chew there food, they take big massive bites and swallow the pieces whole. Most attacks on humans from Great Whites are mainly because it thinks you are one of its primary meals , but after one bite it will usually back off as it notices its not. However the biggest blow the sharks give is in there initial attack, as its used to disable the creature for easy eating. This is why if you get attacked by a great white the chances are 50/50 for survival. Mainly due to blood loss will be the reason most people die.

Oh, man....how do I get my money back....I'm skeered.

Seriously, that's not cool. Sharks are like as big as our boats. But according to the movie, they like Laser regattas.

Hi Tim,
Some people call me Tom Katt, and I love to eat
fish. I will be at Lewes, so don't be skeered, I have
been to Lewes twice and the sharks were scared of me as
I never even saw one.

OK Tom, let's bring our fishing gear! On second thought, Ever seen a shark fisherman? Ususlly a few fingers short of a full pack. I'll just keep one of John Deimels smelly shoes in my cockpit in case I need to ward off Jaws! ;)

Hell - I'm not skeered either.

But I do have a serious question. Us old guys can't sit on a boat all day drinking water and Gatorade without having to .... ehem :eek: ... relieve the pressure some times. My normal practice is to hang over the side of the boat thereby dangling two neoprene-clad limbs in the water that probably look like seals to Jaws who will see them as the perfect mid-afternoon snack.

So what to do? :confused:

Will the regatta organizers - not to mention the sailors of opposite gender - mind if I stand on the transom, unzip the old wetsuit and ...ehem :eek: ... let it all hang out.

By the way can the marine police book for you for public urination? :confused: )

In a word...YES and also sight you for indecent exposure.

And in your case maybe assault with a dead weapon. LOL

mike4947 said:
In a word...YES and also sight you for indecent exposure.

And in your case maybe assault with a dead weapon. LOL

Sight me? With a telescope, you mean? Or perhaps you really meant cite?

Back