2 People on a Sunfish. How high up can I hoist the boom?

Curious George

Hi want to sail the fish around the marina with a guest, but trying to make it less of a scramble and ducking for the boom.
I heard that if the boom is too high your mast could break. Please explain?
Which sail eye or where would you tie the halyard (how far from the end) to maximize the boom height with out risking breaking equipment.? (PS - I have a mast cleat about 48in up)
Thanks!

Last edited:
While there is more stress on the mast, sailing comfort (for two) can be achieved by raising the boom to even as much as 30 inches.

I'll guess the halyard attachment would be between clips eight and nine. Use a "thrice-through-bowline", and the boom height can be adjusted to the millimeter!

Thanks. I will have to look where I am attached now. I have been using the clove hitch. How high wind would you risk at 30 inches?

I would look for winds not to exceed 15 mph, unless you are this type of a guy and your crew is that kind of a lady

Thanks. I will have to look where I am attached now. I have been using the clove hitch. How high wind would you risk at 30 inches?
Use the clove hitch to determine the desired height of the boom—when satisfied with the height of the boom, re-tie with your choice of hitch. Search "Geezer Rig".
(1) What life jacket to wear? | SailingForums.com

Any wind less whitecaps will work. Above that, I'd weigh other factors, like temperature of the water. ;)

Back