2 lasers for £500 bargain gone sour

crabman

Hi I've bought two old lasers for £500 the sale included masts booms etc 3 sails and neither has any rigging the sail numbers are: 10405 and 42944.
At first I thought this was a bargain and I could do one up and sell it to pay for the other. Now I'm not so sure I'd say the mast thing leaks on both and when i lifted the older one something from within the hull slid from one side to the other. both have one soft side too. I'm just wondering where to begin on these craft. I'm not planning on racing just on having some fun but would like to make one of them presentable to recoup some of my money. Any advice is welcome

Its not good that the mast step is leaking... It can be fixed but thats a pretty heafty bill and a pain to actually do... The moving thing inside the hulls are probably air cubes for flotation... Just by seeing the sail numbers i think they are older boats which usually have these air cubes in them. A question that you should be asking is... "is there and fiberglass showing?"...if there is then that should be fix #1

Yes plenty fibreglass showing on the hull of the older one. I pressure washed it and the washer blew some filler repairs out of the deck too. Will tackle this first.

So did you buy these sight unseen or what? All the issues you're describing should have been readily apparent had you actually inspected them. Regardless if you're not looking for a race boat you're probably fine. Like someone said the parts sloshing around inside are probably just floatation cubitainers. The mast step issues can be repaired, and the soft hull is probably not a big deal for cruising around.

or dried up missing kids whose faces are on milk cartons and on the bulletin board by the Walmart entrance.

Back