2 Hulls on Kitty Hawk Trailer

MDsailor170758

I need some help with this one!

I recently bought a kitty hawk trailer and a 2-hull bracket for "sandwiching" my wife and my lasers to events. Sadly, when I took my laser off the trailer, my wife's (on the bottom) cracked and the deck completely delaminated and ripped around the gunwale.
Her boat is quite old but now that we have to purchase a new boat, I am worried about our trailering technique.

If you have seen the kitty hawk trailers, they support the laser on its gunwale (as they should cuz the hull is fragile). The 2-hull bracket is made of plywood (sold by Annapolis Performance Sailing) and fits on top of the bottom laser. A second laser can then be laid on top (hull facing up).

I made sure that the bracket was placed over the supports so that the load was distributed to the trailer, but still it seemed that wasn't enough.

My question is whether or not other people use this method to trailer 2 lasers. I've seen it done at regattas and that was my primary reason for purchasing the system. Am I doing something wrong or is it just because my wife's laser was old (it had spider cracks on the deck and was pretty soft)?

We took the laser to a boat builder and was told it was irrepairable. :(

Suggestions?

Anyone with a competitive laser in district 11 for sale?

Thanks!

ps. My only other thought is to purchase a roof rack for the second boat (though I drive an Acura Integra and I'd hate to put too much weight on it)
Roof rack and trailer would be a lot for my little car.

Chris,

If you are racing at DCYRA this weekend I can give you my advice. I just purchased a Kitty Hawk Stainless trailer and can see what you need to do. The most important thing is to support the weight of the upper boat only where the lower boat rests on it's supports. That way, pressure from the upper boat only compresses the fiberglass at that point and doesn't push down and deform the deck of either boat.

I would fabricate two pieces, one that spanned from side support to side support and one for the bow. Seperate the boats by just enough to keep the fittings from each boat apart. As soon as you start to try and seperate the boats further to put in spars, it becomes less stable. You may be able to accomplish that but it would be more difficult.

I'll show you what I mean at the club.

Are you in any way close to a place where you could pick up a Outhaul/Cunningham upgrade? If you are, please shoot me an email. I may try to convince you to pick one up for me and bring it this weekend.

Thanks and good luck.

Dave

Are you in any way close to a place where you could pick up a Outhaul/Cunningham upgrade? If you are, please shoot me an email. I may try to convince you to pick one up for me and bring it this weekend.

Thanks and good luck.

Dave[/QUOTE]

Hey Dave,

I thought that was you!

Yeah, I'll be racing a little bit this weekend. (hopefully take out the international-14)

Sorry, but I don't think I'll be able to make it to Annapolis Performance Sailing before the weekend. My suggestion is to go to apsltd.com and order one asap. You should have it by early next week at the latest.

See you on Saturday morning!

-Chris

Back