1st Sunfish ever sold?

tag

my2fish
I saw this linked to (again, from bonnie), and thought I'd share it. the photo was taken at the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum of the 1st Sunfish ever sold:

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0057.JPG

note the solid wood spars & mast, the extended splashguard/coaming, and the leather strap loop that is probably what has now become the gooseneck. The original photos can be found here.

cheers,
tag

Pretty interesting how they have evolved, yet have stayed the same. Kind of surprised it's not better cared for seeing its in a museum, or something that sorta resembles a museum.:rolleyes:

# 12 is an ice boat or ice yacht. You can see the tiller and the blade under it in the aft. These ice boats were steered from the aft with the outriggers off the forward of the hull giving the three points of contact , like a cross, unlike modern ice boats that are steered from the front. Can achieve 4 x the speed of the wind making hard water sailing a thrilling sport.
Nice to see the museum with these examples of boating history and especially an early Sunfish.
><>Don<><

# 12 is an ice boat or ice yacht. You can see the tiller and the blade under it in the aft. These ice boats were steered from the aft with the outriggers off the forward of the hull giving the three points of contact , like a cross, unlike modern ice boats that are steered from the front. Can achieve 4 x the speed of the wind making hard water sailing a thrilling sport.
Nice to see the museum with these examples of boating history and especially an early Sunfish.
><>Don<><

Was the sail also up forward? Can't see from this pic. where would the mast go. Very interesting stuff.

Does anyone has any pics of those first SFs with their sails up? Would love to see how they look like.

# 12 is an ice boat or ice yacht. You can see the tiller and the blade under it in the aft.
Thank you, now I see it...

Gaff rig w/jib..., that must be a handful.

ice_yachting2.jpg

Does anyone has any pics of those first SFs with their sails up? Would love to see how they look like.
Not too different...

The Alcort Sunfish was based on the Alcort Sailfish which came out in 1945..., and the Sailfish was based on a paddle board idea merged with sailing canoe sail rig which had been around long before that.

300px-SailingCanoe.jpg

Old Town canoe with sailing rig

By the time the Sunfish was introduced in 1952 all the bronze hardware was in use and the kick-up rudder had been implemented on the Sailfish. This hardware was all brought forward to the new Sunfish design.

The synthetic sail came along about the same time the fiberglass hull was introduced (1960). First in nylon, but quickly moving to polyester within just a couple of years.

History of the Sailfish and Sunfish can be found in The Sunfish Bible by Will White. Will writes up an interview he conducted with the two Alcort founders, Alex Byran and Cortlandt Heyniger, where they explain to him some of the design influences and significant dates in development.

Attachments

• Early Sunfish.jpg
    Early Sunfish.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 23

Back