1st day out on '79 Sunfish

Odd Hour

Hello Sunfish forum,
I'm proud to say my brother and I got my newly acquired '79 Fish on the water, with winds 10-20 this weekend. We haven't sailed since we were in our teens, 20+ years ago! A fantastic day of smiles and laughs was had.

She's a one owner '79 that was sailed twice a year on vacations and always garaged! I found her on Craigslist and was only a couple miles from home. She's in excellent condition and included a car top carrier, two wheel transom dolley and trailer rails! In our haste to get to the water I forgot my camera. I've included the photos from the CL listing.

Odd:)

Attachments

• 5K45Ha5Jb3Kb3L63H1c6pdabf6da1811a1e86.jpg
    5K45Ha5Jb3Kb3L63H1c6pdabf6da1811a1e86.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 5L65Hb5Jd3La3Fd3H3c6p86adebb0eb481cc3.jpg
    5L65Hb5Jd3La3Fd3H3c6p86adebb0eb481cc3.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 5L85K45F63kf3J13Ncc6p25e64bfa5c1512eb.jpg
    5L85K45F63kf3J13Ncc6p25e64bfa5c1512eb.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 83
Hello Sunfish forum,
I'm proud to say my brother and I got my newly acquired '79 Fish on the water, with winds 10-20 this weekend. We haven't sailed since we were in our teens, 20+ years ago! A fantastic day of smiles and laughs was had.

She's a one owner '79 that was sailed twice a year on vacations and always garaged! I found her on Craigslist and was only a couple miles from home. She's in excellent condition and included a car top carrier, two wheel transom dolley and trailer rails! In our haste to get to the water I forgot my camera. I've included the photos from the CL listing.

Odd, Congrats to you and your brother on the shiny new old boat. Like the color combo. I see it's a Michigan boat. What lake were you on?
I was on Crystal Lake near Frankfort Friday, Saturday and Sunday and it just got better every day.

mhirte, The previous owner brought her to SE South Dakota sometime ago. We'll be sailing the lakes of SW Minn., and NW Iowa aswell. I'm sure hoping to encounter some Sunfish in the area. I do appreciate windswept SD a whole lot more now that I've got this boat!
Happy sailin'

I was on Crystal Lake near Frankfort Friday, Saturday and Sunday and it just got better every day.
Sorry to go off-topic some, but I would agree - Crystal Lake is a SWEET lake for sailing on.

Odd Hour, that Sunfish is in great shape! Nice find, and glad your 1st time back on the water was such fun.

Cheers,
tag

What a find and the condition of the original sail says it all. I am the third own of my 79 and just retired the original sail 3 years ago. You will have many more years of smiles with that like new condition hull and rigging.
Welcome to the forum

Minas man

Nice boat! Love the sail colors...kind of retro. Happy sailing!

The only time the wind came up here last weekend in my inland corner of SC was right before a thunderstorm!:confused:

Hello Sunfish forum,

I just purchased the same boat from Craigslist here in Ohio, a 1979 with same color scheme, and original sail, was told its called MESA, for Mesa, Arizona.
Here it looks more like Cleveland Browns colors. Happy Sailing !!

Hello Sunfish forum,
I'm proud to say my brother and I got my newly acquired '79 Fish on the water, with winds 10-20 this weekend. We haven't sailed since we were in our teens, 20+ years ago!

When I bought mine I hadn't sailed a Sunfish in 20 years either... back to the real fun! You really found a good one too. Have fun!

man, I just bought a 79 this past weekend but mine is in nowhere as nice shape as yours. Your hull looks brand new, shainy and all. Congrats!!

Thanks Cavi, it is a ligthly used boat. It was sailed twice a year for 25 yrs and always garaged. I'm looking for a trailer for it now. Finding help with car topping has proved harder than expected. I'd sure like to be on the water more often. I missed a two day sale on a local '85 Fish with trailer for $450!!! I'm a bit bummed about not getting another Fish w/ trailer for what, about $50 more an a new trailer goes for!!!

Thanks J.W., I didn't know I had the Mesa color scheme!

Thanks Pat75, I've had a blast with it so far this season. There was a lapse in judgement when I attempted sailing it solo in heavy winds, my second time out! The capsize count shall remain a closely held secret. It was an extreme riting workout to say the least!
Todd

Thanks Cavi, it is a ligthly used boat. It was sailed twice a year for 25 yrs and always garaged. I'm looking for a trailer for it now. Finding help with car topping has proved harder than expected. I'd sure like to be on the water more often. I missed a two day sale on a local '85 Fish with trailer for $450!!! I'm a bit bummed about not getting another Fish w/ trailer for what, about $50 more an a new trailer goes for!!!

Thanks J.W., I didn't know I had the Mesa color scheme!

Thanks Pat75, I've had a blast with it so far this season. There was a lapse in judgement when I attempted sailing it solo in heavy winds, my second time out! The capsize count shall remain a closely held secret. It was an extreme riting workout to say the least!
Todd

Back