1995 vs 2005

which is faster

• 1995 laser

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • 2005 laser

Votes: 15 93.8%

• Total voters

sailor327

what do you think is a faster boat. a light water tight and restored 1995 laser with upgraded rigging and restored blades or a brand new 2005 laser pro.

sailor327 said:
what do you think is a faster boat. a light water tight and restored 1995 laser with upgraded rigging and restored blades or a brand new 2005 laser pro.
I think the 2005, because the hull will be stiffer.
Merrily

Howdy Ya'll
It all depends on how much the 95 was sailed, and how it was sailed (raced or recreational).... Laser that are sailed hard and 10-20 times a year in weekend regattas probably won't stay stiff for much more then 4-5 years at best. Thats just pretty much a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) on my part from observations and discussions with other Laserites....
With the 2005... there isn't any doubt it is stiff. Also another thing to think about is have there been any improvements in fiberglass resin and molding technoligies. To make a better longer lasting boat? Maybe one of the Vanguard reps might read this and comment.
Best regards,
Fishingmickey,
150087/181157

Hi,

If speed is the only criteria, then I say 2005. If value matters, then a great '95 could be fine, especially if the price savings let you buy a new sail every year, etc. which is really important.

I had a '94, 148469, and used it hard, but our VT seasons are short. The decks seperated after 6 years ( to where you could move the deck where you sit with one or two fingers). I sold it and raced a pristine '79 for 3 years, and restored a beat '79 too. Neither developed a soft deck problem. They were sold as well as a pristine and stiff '90 and I have a Vanguard built '98 now, with a solid deck (and everything else!). Vanguard took over production in '97, so I'd look for '98 or newer. But JMHO.

Al Russell 164308

im just curious because im thinking of getting a new boat but i have heard the older ones are faster and better built.

Back