1990 Sunfish...Taking on Water

mountainman350

I have several Sunfish sailboats. I just sailed a 1990 Sunfish that I got last weekend for the first time today. After about 2 hours of sailing I took the boat out of the water and I could hear water in the hull. I put the boat on its side and a good amount of water came out of the hull. The boat does not have an inspection port just the standard small drain on the deck. The hull has no patches or damage. I can't figure out why its leaking. I checked the rudder mount and dagger board trunk......no damage. Can the water simply go through the hull? Is this typical of this year? I have a 1966, 1976, and 1988 and have never had this problem. Thanks

1990 means a Pearson boat. I had a 1991 their last year. If you do a preesure test I'll bet the farm you find leaks around the mast step, daggerboard trunk, keel, etc.
Pearson skimped on the resin. My boat only weighed 108 pounds, where as the standard is 130 pound for a hull.
Mine was leak free but I did a LOT of maintenance to keep it that way.

you may also get water in the hull if the deck has separated from the hull (under the rub strip). I have had to repairs some late '70's boats with that problem. Fix is pretty easy.:)

The Pearson boats have the newer rolled edge and we've found few problems with leaks there mainly JMHO because there is a greater surface area than the older style for bonding.
It does damage easier due to the fact there is no aluminum "rub rail". It looks bad but doesn't leak...LOL

Back