1989 Pearson Sunfish ... Buy or avoid ?

I've just been offered an old 1989 Sunfish project for $100. It's been heavily used , but all the parts are there with the exception of a sail.
The hull seems very light.
I read that some Pearson boats were a headache to own. Was the light fiberglass lay up the main problem ?

I've just been offered an old 1989 Sunfish ... It's been heavily used ... The hull seems very light. Was the light fiberglass lay up the main problem ?
First off, how light is "light". Would you tip the boat onto its side on a bathroom scale and get an actual weight. Published weight for that time period was about 130#. Light would be under 120#

Right, light would indicate not enough glass fabric and resin was applied for building a lasting hull. If this boat's been heavily used and isn't flexing like a kiddy pool when you press on the deck and hull bottom, that indicates it's holding up pretty well.

We know the lightweights fatigued sooner than expected, I'd anticipate under-built boats to have leak problems too.

Thanks Wayne.
I have a 1999 Vanguard hull which weighs 130lbs & the Pearson hull feels way lighter , maybe as light as 100lbs , but that's just a guess.
Hull flex is about the same in both hulls & the Pearson has been painted so i don't know if the paint is hiding any repairs.
I reckon for $100 I'll probably buy it , as the parts will always be handy & I can always turn the hull into a planter or a garden bench !

Back