1988 Capri 14.2 Owners Manual & Catalina Yachts General Handbook

Blackbeardrider

Attached are clean PDF copies of my original 1988 (mod 1) Capri 14.2 Owners Manual and Rigging Guide, and the Catalina Yachts General Handbook which include instructions and photos on Maintenance, Rigging, Sailing, and Repairs. The Capri Owners Manual is nearly identical to the 1996 copy available on this board, but is in better shape. Enjoy!

Attachments

• 1988 Capri 14.2 Owners Manual and Rigging Guide.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,580
  • Catalina Yachts General Handbook.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 954
Commodore--You should just need to click on the link at the top of this post and the PDF file will automatically open for you. It works for me.

Turns out my laptop has very slow response to a download request, I came back to my system an hour or so later, and three or four download requests in my queue. I was able to get the manual. Thank you very much!!

Thank you for posting this. I am a new Capri 14.2 owner, Mod 1. I have been reading about capsizing and was wondering what people think about the manual's statement : "Remember, don't panic, your boat cannot sink as it has built in floatation". Does that statement assume that the cuddy hatch remains unbreached and no water gets in? I am wondering whether I need to test the cuddy hatch to make sure it will not leak before I set sail.

I have been reading about capsizing and was wondering what people think about the manual's statement : "Remember, don't panic, your boat cannot sink as it has built in floatation". Does that statement assume that the cuddy hatch remains unbreached and no water gets in?.

If you haven't already, get yourself a masthead float. The 14.2 sits so incredibly high in the water when it's laying on its side, it won't be an issue at all, so long as it doesn't turtle........ and the float won't let it turtle.

I get no water at all in my cockpit when I capsize, because of how high the boat sits on its side. The only time I get water in the boat is when I'm hosing it off at the ramp, after it's back on the trailer and I'm rinsing it off before putting it away.

Curious Winston if, while capsized, you've had to deal with the current trend of wake surfing power boats that create remarkably large wakes at low speed to surf on? My kid and I recently launched his small sailboat from a ramp that had them cruising by on the regular, and I swear I'll never go back. We were exhausted trying to get that tiny Laser Pico from being beat up on the shore and into open waters. It was like riding a mechanical bull and sucked the fun out of sailing for my son.

Curious Winston if, while capsized, you've had to deal with the current trend of wake surfing power boats that create remarkably large wakes at low speed to surf on?

I'm fortunate to sail in a location with multiple sailing clubs, sculling clubs, sailing schools, and marinas, full of experienced, courteous and safety-minded members. We don't get a lot of powerboats, but those we do always know the laws and strictly adhere to them.

Are you on a lake? I can see where that sort of environment would/could attract more skiers and a more rowdy crowd.

My sailing location is a bit more upscale and mellow. :p

Thank you for posting this. I am a new Capri 14.2 owner, Mod 1. I have been reading about capsizing and was wondering what people think about the manual's statement : "Remember, don't panic, your boat cannot sink as it has built in floatation". Does that statement assume that the cuddy hatch remains unbreached and no water gets in? I am wondering whether I need to test the cuddy hatch to make sure it will not leak before I set sail.

If you can contort yourself into the cuddy far enough to see under the cockpit benches you'll see huge styrofoam blocks. Those are what keep the boat from being sinkable.

I haven't tested mine.

And if you have top of the mast flotation when capsized water won't even get into the cockpit in calm water. The flotation blocks do the trick. Somewhere back in the earlier posts you will find a pic showing the boat laying on it's side. Now if it was to turtle (without mast flotation), that's another story. As a new owner you will learn a lot by just breezing through the old posts, there's a wealth of information there!

Back