1985 Zuma

Aren't Zumas roto-molded? :oops:

I'd evaluate the Internet-based resources to repair them. But I do like them.

Easy sailing, reasonably fast, and suitable/comfortable for a passenger.

AKrun,

Make sure the boat is complete and not missing any parts as Zuma parts are hard to find on the used market.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

p.s. You live in a beautiful area. I still vacation on Crystal or Glen Lake(s) and drive up M-115 from Claire to M-22.

p.p.s. The Zuma is not roto-molded - they are conventionally built fiberglass lay-up hulls.

Thanks, sailors. Yes, northern Michigan is beautiful in the summertime! The lack of readily available parts for the Zuma is a disadvantage. Husband and I want a boat we can launch in minutes and have enough room for both of us. We are young 60's and really enjoyed the Sunfish we had a few years back. The lake is a few blocks away and we could launch from a very small but public beach.

there is a Capri 14.2 for sale on craigslist down closer to Metro Detroit. might be an alternative if the Zuma doesn't pan out.

added bonus - there is a Capri forum for advice/help/parts.

(PS, like Alan, I vacation up that way often enough, but I live in metro Detroit suburbs, so a lot shorter drive for me. Crystal Lake, the beach on Lake Michigan in Arcadia, etc).

The Zuma had a bonded hull and deck so the first thing would be to make sure the hull and deck joint is tight, especially around the transom. Other places to look for damage are the cockpit rolled edges for cracks. Some parts were interchangeable with the Force 5 (rudder cheek), tiller straps,,,check the mast area for cracks (fill with water and see if the level drops).

Another boat to look at would be the Butterfly (should be able to find some in MI.

Capri 14.2 is a great little boat and can seat 4 adults sailing. Trouble is it is heavy so you would have to take into consideration how you plan to launch and retrieve your boat.

I own a Zuma and it's been a great first dinghy for me. I replaced the lines , bought a new cover, dolly and replaced a batten.

Attachments

• image_50384641.JPG
    image_50384641.JPG
    803.7 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: tag
A pleasant read for you trailer-sailors.

The featured boat is larger, harder to rig, but those who want economy, sail with an actual crew and an actual cabin will enjoy this short "read".

Zuma and Sunfish are mentioned:

Back