1982 Omega 14 help

saltyb

The history lesson of the Omega/Capri is great, however as a new owner of an old Omega 14 without manual or other guidance, I need to know what rigging and sail plan changes were made when the Capri 14.2 came out? The two-bolt toothed mast step also has me confused. What is the ideal mast placement? Any help for a retired keel boat sailor with no small boat experience and no source of info will be appreciated.

That fitting on the base of the mast is not used by C14.2s. It is another one of the fittings the Coronado 15 and Omega 14 share in common. The factory standard position for the pin on the step is the forwardmost hole on the C-15. The aft "bolt" is for the aft notch on the notched rail to go onto. It is meant to assist the sailor when the mast is being raised(it works!). The notch in the middle of the rail sits on the forward pin. On the other end of the mast, you have a cast fitting with a steel tube bent into a semi-circle over it. I've never seen a an Omega 14 in person to verify, but I believe it uses wire halyards with rope tails, correct? From looking at photos, it doesn't look like there were factory-provided halyard locks. Could you post some photos of your mast? You'd likely have to really dig to find an Omega tuning guide. The hard way to find out the ideal position is to tune it yourself, sailing against another boat of similar perfomance. The mast placement can be adjusted on the water, but with =care and with no load on the sails. Try it with the pin all the way forward and move it back to where you feel the rig is balanced. Do this with the centerboard in the full down position.

I can't be 100% sure, but I believe the standing rigging is identical between the C14.2 and the Omega 14, as is the mast above a certain level. I'm not entirely sure where the hull of the C14 was stretched to become the C14.2, but it would make the most sense to stretch it at the stern, not amidships. If you have standing rigging that came with the boat, have it duplicated by a rigging shop. You might try contacting Catalina and asking them for a drawing whowing rigging lengths.

Mast placement

Dear Chris,
Thanks for the quick response. I will try the bolt positions as suggested along with the Quantum tuning measurements to fix the mast position and forestay length. You are correct concerning the wire/rope halyard configuration and mast top tube for the main halyard. We are also considering installing a topping lift. When we drop the mast for installation I will take some photos of both ends of the mast and mast step.
Thanks again for your help.

Gil Blake
Omega 14 #2000

A topping lift would be too easy to install with that main halyard tube. I wouldn't bother mounting anything to the mast. Get some very small diameter spectra and splice a loop around the tube. At least you are going for a topping lift. Boom kickers just don't seem right to me for a 14' dinghy. Both devices are supposed to be used to hold the boom up and keep the leech open in light air and on runs, but it seems many people install them to support the boom when there are no sails up. A much simpler(and better imo) way of holding it up for storage is to shackle the main halyard to the boom's end.

Good Thought

Good Thought,
Our main use would be to support an untailored cockpit cover during periods of storage. Our storage facility, while private, is unfenced and unguarded. We have had some boatcover vandalism by kids wanting to look inside cockpits for things to steal. This seems to be an easy way to provide some protection from our Virginia elements while not risking damage to a fancy cover. Thanks.

Omega Centerboard Raise and Lower Scheme

Our repairs are almost complete, but a small but nagging question keeps popping up. THe Omega Handbook shows the parts needed for raising and lowering the centerboard, but offers no illustration or instruction as to connecting the parts. I have seen the system used in the 14.2's, but they are very different from the Omega. Does anyone have a photo or description that may help??
Thanks!!/GT:confused:

Capri 14 owners manual

John,
I recently inherited a 1982 Capri 14 Model 1849. I know nothing about sailing or rigging (except what I've read recently). The finish is oxidized and the bottom has to be sanded to get the old blue paint off, of what is left of it anyway. Does this boat use a jib sail?? Mine came with only a main.

I'm very excited about learning this activity and will eventually teach my daughters, however I have ALOT to learn. I'm in Houston and have made contact with the only Capri dealer here, however I want to learn as much as possible myself, as opposed to paying someone to show me the basics. I would rather use my money for lessons....Please help if you can....FYI: I'm not opposed to phone communication either.

Thanks a million.................
tdog

catomega said:
If you are still looking for a copy of the manual I will snail mail one to you. Just email me at [email protected].

john wallace, round rock tx

Omega 14 help

Saltyb,

I posted to John from his listing back in Aug 2006. Can you help me in obtaining an owners manual for the Omega 14. Also, any advise an rigging and/or sailing would be greatly appreciated...........

Many thanks,

saltyb said:
Our repairs are almost complete, but a small but nagging question keeps popping up. THe Omega Handbook shows the parts needed for raising and lowering the centerboard, but offers no illustration or instruction as to connecting the parts. I have seen the system used in the 14.2's, but they are very different from the Omega. Does anyone have a photo or description that may help??
Thanks!!/GT:confused:

Omega 14 Centerboard warning and word to the wise

The Omega 14 has a line to lower the centerboard and a cam cleat to keep it in place as well as a line to raise the centerboard (the one with the pulley) and cam cleat to lock it. If you have the centerboard locked and hit ground you can bend the brackets and make it very difficult to raise the centerboard to take your boat home. I know this by sad experience and it makes for a quick end to your sailing. I'm still trying to get the last of 4 bracket screws out to see if I can hammer the centerboard bracket back to shape after pulling the whole centerboard assembly. I saw one post where someone had put in a bungee cord for the centerboard line. This seems like a really good idea to me now. Otherwise be very careful with locking your centerboard down near shore.

If anyone knows of any place that I could get replacement parts for the centerboard bracket assembly I would appreciate it.

Centerboard

My 1980 Omega doesn't have a bungee cord in place either and it caused my centerboard to split. Obviously I need to replace it. My bracket is bent... I've had to take it out twice now (with only 6 voyages on her) and bend it back into place. The screws are starting to strip with the removal and reinsertion.

I didn't know there should be a line to raise the centerboard. I'm wondering where this goes. There's no cam cleat for it to live either. Not sure there should be one on my older boat.

I'd also like to know about buying a new bracket since mine is definitely weakened with the repeated bending.

Thanks,

Marti

Back