1980 Sunfish wood dagger board.

Sailor George

Is it worth it for $100 to replace the wood dagger board with a white composite board? I read that the problem with the old boats was the dagger board was short. Don’t plan to race the boat, just want it to be stable fri the kids. Thanks

For kids I wouldn't worry too much, but I might guess the boat responds 10% better or more with tacking, pointing, etc. Unless you're next to another fish you might not even notice. Speed as well.

Ok, thanks, I will use the $ to buy Rum for pain killers! Another question: the board has noe line tied to the top of the board. I guess that to secure the dagger board when the boat is filled. I read about a bungee cord to keep the board up. Where do I attach it to. Any pictures would be appreciated.

One way of doing this is to lead the bungee around the mast and back to the board. See the rigging video (around 4min 30sec) that I recommended earlier.

Yes, keep the wood board for the kids. As noted, the plastic boards perform better, but they are prone to tip damage for errant kids returning to a rocky shore, and the repair is a little involved. If the wood board gets dinged, it is much easier to repair.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

One way of doing this is to lead the bungee around the mast and back to the board. See the rigging video (around 4min 30sec) that I recommended earlier.
OK, I whatched video, but the board they had was white and had a hole in the board for th4 bungee. I guess what you are suggesting is to just wrap the bungee around the mast and around the board. Seams simple.

By the way, I weighed the boat, it cam in at 120 lbs. so I think it’s pretty dry. Hopefully it will stay that way when I get it set up and in the water. Thanks

Sailor George said:
By the way, I weighed the boat, it came in at 120 lbs. so I think it’s pretty dry. Hopefully it will stay that way when I get it set up and in the water. Thanks

Now that I'm on a diet, I want to buy your scale. ;)

Reactions: tag
A lot of the wooden boards had a hole in the handle for the retaining line. We run one end of a 5 foot bungee through that hole and tie a stop knot. the other end gets a snap clip and it attaches to the bow handle, clip the clip back onto the bungee.

Back