1978 laser Gelcoat Colour

mus

Hi, is there a chart or mixture calculation to get the yellowish gel coat colour to match the 1978 laser gelcoat ?

thanks very much

Hi, is there a chart or mixture calculation to get the yellowish gel coat colour to match the 1978 laser gelcoat ?

thanks very much

Doubt it . Anyway, it wouldn't do you much good because the original gelcoat color on your hull will have faded to an unknown extent in the past 30 years.

i guess you're right Wavedancer. I'd better try and match the gel coat as much as possible by trial and error. Or better still leave it as it is as i only want to cover some scratches.

Thanks very much Wavedancer.

try using a piece of clear plastic bottle for mixing color, this way you can put the plastic on the hull and mix ingridients on it until it looks close. worked for me...

try using a piece of clear plastic bottle for mixing color, this way you can put the plastic on the hull and mix ingridients on it until it looks close. worked for me...

That sounds like a good idea that I'll try next time around. Remember to transfer the gelcoat to something that won't melt before adding the hardener/catalyst.

1. Give the boat a light buff or at least thoroughly clean it with heavy duty cleanser before trying to make a color match. Otherwise when you try to blend in and polish your patches, the adjacent boat will clean up, do a color shift and mess up all your hard color match work
2. Try to find a yellow gelcoat that is lighter than your boat color and accomplish your color match by adding small amounts of whatever it takes to make the gelocat darker.
3. Relating to #2 above... Yellow is a primary color. If your base gelcoat from which you plan to make your match has more red, blue, black, or white than the boat, you will not be able to get a match. You cannot "un Orange" or "Un green" your bottle of gelcoat. All you can do to the deeper wrong color is make brown
4. Too light and wrong is better than too dark and wrong.
5. As of tonight, Joe Paterno has one fewer bowl victories than Oklahoma has had in forever. Of course Joe Pa is 25 - 2 against WVU and who kept Oklahoma from getting bowl win number 25 tonight. Note: One of Oklahoma's 24 bowl wins came against Penn State...14 -0 in the 1972 Sugar Bowl....Penn States star running back and eventual Heismann Trophy winner John Cappaletti was hospitalized the night bofore that game and did not play

Back