1976 Sunfish/Windflite

Scott S

I'm new this forum and to sailing. I just took a sailing class, loved it and have picked up a 76 Sunfish to continue learning with, but I'm confused about my boats design compared to what I see online about this vintage Sunfish . The one I have has no lip around the cockpit, its a rounded edge. No storage in back. There is just the cleat at the base of the mast, but no fairlead bullseye on the deck and only a fairlead hook on the front wall of the cockpit, no place for a ratchet block to be installed. The SN is stamped on the right side of the transom and the last digits are M76H. I wanted to install a swivel cam cleat on the deck above the fairlead hook, but with no lip, I think I'd have to install a threaded view port in order to access the underside of the deck for proper backing support. So my questions are: why doesn't my Sunfish look like the ones I see online, and second, is the wood backing on the deck in front of the cockpit that a swivel cam cleat can be screwed into, or do I need to cut an access to put in a solid aluminum or stainless backing plate? thanks in advance.

Answers can be slow in coming on weekends, but let me start—in reverse order—on your questions.

IF you want a backing plate, you'll need to put an "inspection port" in. Some install the port in the deck: some in the front of the cockpit. There's no wood (right) there.
The Sun's UV can be brutal on plastic ports, so I suggest a coat of paint before installation.

There's no real tension in a swivel cam cleat, so stainless is overkill. Plastic cutting board or Trex would work as well—but use washers—as those suffer pull-through. Generally, with saltwater use, metals are to be avoided.

As to the manufacturer, if you don't have photographs, describe the sail's logo.

Sunfish Age and Hull Identification | SailingForums.com

Later model Sunfish had rounded outer edges: yours (if a '76) should have aluminum trim instead. Use a Google-image search using the word, "Clonefish", if you suspect you have something other than a genuine Sunfish.

Our "Mini-Fish" experts can set you straight, since there's a reasonable chance that's what you have. :cool:

Sunfish had a hook centered forward on the lip of the cockpit. That's to control the mainsheet.

Well, there's a start. :)

Last edited:
The short answer is it isn't a Sunfish. It's most likely an AMFlite or Windflite. They used the Sunfish hull but a slightly different deck. They were designed to be cheaper to make and sell. It's a perfectly good boat, it just cannot be raced against Sunfish in sanctioned events.

The short answer is it isn't a Sunfish. It's most likely an AMFlite or Windflite. They used the Sunfish hull but a slightly different deck. They were designed to be cheaper to make and sell. It's a perfectly good boat, it just cannot be raced against Sunfish in sanctioned events.

thanks - the title does say Windflite. the hull id is AMF41099M76H.

this is the cockpit. so apparently I've got a Windflite

Attachments

• IMG_3701.JPG
    IMG_3701.JPG
    321.3 KB · Views: 144
To add to the confusion AMF used the Amflite name for its line of bowling balls and bowling pins. Later on Windflite was reused for the AMF windsurfer.

To add to the confusion AMF used the Amflite name for its line of bowling balls .

I think L&VW mentioned that one time back in the day in New Hampshire a guy showed up at a regatta with an Amflite bowling ball. He thought the yacht club was hosting a bowling tournament, not a regatta. :eek:

520.jpg
All of my New Hampshire bowling has seen none of AMF bowling balls. The sport "up here" is (or was) dominated by Candlepin Bowling. (A ball you can cover completely with two hands, and trying to hit tall, narrow, pins).

"...I'm confused about my boats design compared to what I see online about this vintage Sunfish..."
Funny, I was out sailing when a Windflite (a regular 2-week summer visitor) came out to sail around for a couple of hours. The skipper was about 8 years old.

This is the sail and insignia that came with the Windflite sailboat:
s-l200.jpg

Top of page, stumbled onto another one with a strange (to me) sail insignia...

Last edited:
Your hull and deck are similar to a Minifish.
install an inspection port on the deck, or the front wall of the cockpit, and you can then set it up with a ratchet block like I set up my Minifish.

mainsheet-cleat-parts-list.png

Hello Scott! I just happened to get the name Sunfish Windflight though my head and Googled it, and came back to this forum and you. We have the same kind of boat. I bought mine at JC Penny's in Syracuse in 1976, it was made by AMF at that time, the salesperson said it was a Bicentennial Edition (but now I know the Classic Sunfish was called that because of the red/blue stripes it had). I got the last one in the store, got a rebate and paid 450 dollars. It had/has same hull and sail/rigg as the Classic Sunfish, but the cockpit is better/bigger and the deck is one piece with the hull. It had these wonderful red and blue stripes across the front and back deck, they will soon be back on my newly restored Sunfish. I was told the Windlight can't race against original Sunfish, but I didn't mind, I have it only for leisure. And that cockpit makes the whole difference. I just love to slip down there, get my butt below the waterline and go easy with the winds. Soon we will celebrate 50 years together, and I have kept away from new plastic and metal spareparts. In order to reach under deck I have made small manholes, and put in fresh wood support for the screws as needed. Avoid metal if you can. Use hardwood. This is a must if you want to have a swivel cam cleat. I don't sail that hard, and believe it's hard to sail with it. As the boat is extremely sensitive to gusty winds, I prefer gloves to hold the sail using only the fairlead hook. I wish you lots of pleasure in the future with this very rare version of the Sunfish!

Attachments

• Sunfish Windflight 1976.jpeg
    Sunfish Windflight 1976.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 137
No, the original was depleted 15 years ago. And the logo disappeared very quickly, can't see anything on old photos. This photo is from 2005, with the original sail.

Attachments

• 132924.JPG
    132924.JPG
    514.6 KB · Views: 96
Yes - happened to see the sail in an old video from 1982. Sorry about the quality!

Back