1976 sunfish….finally restored.

Jeepin2007

This past week I finished my sunfish restoration process. I want to thank everyone on this forum for helping me do this project. I would of been lost with out everyone. I hope you guys like it!!

The complete work log with more pictures and details can be found here. I uploaded this site to my schools web server. I don't know how much bandwidth it can take. Guess we will find out =)
It may take a few minutes to load all the pictures.
http://home.pct.edu/~accphi32/sunfish.html

29.jpg

Thanks for reporting on your (beautiful :)) restoration job. The pictures and description will be quite helpful to others.

As an aside, I wondered what the purpose is of the two eyestraps on the port side (in front of the splashguard)?

That is a work of "loving art". Do you have any pics of installing the hiking strap? Where it goes through the cock pit wall, looks perfect. You are a master craftsmen! ...Mike

Thanks for the comments. I have the other eye straps there for tieing down stuff to the deck that normally get in my way (like my paddle).

I just started installing the hiking strap in the rear. I took some crappy pics with the iphone today. I will get better ones soon. Here is what I have done so far.

Basicly I bought the hardware at lowes. I drilled two holes behind the cockpit. Inserted the hardware in the holes.

Next I created a duck tape mold around the one piece of hardware. I filled it with gel coat and let it harden. I just removed the duck tape. I am letting it fully harden now. I will do the other side tommorow. When both sides are hard I will finish it off by sanding it down smooth.

I really don't know how well this will work, I still think it would be better then just drilling it into the deck with no backing plate.
I will test this out and see how it hold up when im finished! It has to support 175 lbs!

More pics will come soon!!

Attachments

• IMG_0076.jpg
    IMG_0076.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0075.jpg
    IMG_0075.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0079.jpg
    IMG_0079.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 65
That's a knockout restoration.

Your link shows a shot of "the internals".

Most internals of other hulls show a better interior finish than that around the step. Is that a previous mast-step repair?

This is a really beautiful job! You've inspired me to rejuvenate my old "fish come fall.

Where did you get the nice white edge strip material?

This is a really beautiful job! You've inspired me to rejuvenate my old "fish come fall.

Where did you get the nice white edge strip material?

West Marine. Here is the link

The 1/4 size fits perfect. You will need 2 orders of it to cover the entire deck and the cockpit.

Back