1975 Sunfish Drain Plug

Diddy

I bought a "new style" drain plug from Sunfish Direct for my 1975 boat. The year is clear from the serial number stamped on the transom. It is too big, does not fit. Everything I've read says there are two drain plugs - "old" and "new styles, with the changeover year 1972. Can anyone explain why the "new" plug does not fit a 1975 boat?

I ordered the same thing once upon a time got the same results. Not
worth the trouble. You can get a plug from the plumbing section of
True Value hardware stores or order a Garboard drain plug online.
Wine corks work or you can just sail without the plug for now.

The older pre 1972 deck drain plugs were press fit into the deck with no flange. The screw in plug part bottomed out at the internal flange. Then in 1972 they added a flange and used the split pins to hold it onto the deck, similar pin that held the mast and halyard bases on the mast. The plug you purchased is the third style deck plug made of plastic. The only issue with this style is that it is not flush with the deck. Also as you found out needs a larger hole in the deck to be installed. You can make a bigger hole or buy a used deck drain plug. I have a couple of these. I prefer the new plastic ones as they are replaceable for cheap money.

I do have the old style, metal screw-in deck drain plug assemblies. $10, shipping included.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Attachments

• L1010875.JPG
    L1010875.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 205
I ordered the same thing once upon a time got the same results. Not
worth the trouble. You can get a plug from the plumbing section of
True Value hardware stores or order a Garboard drain plug online.
Wine corks work or you can just sail without the plug for now.
Thanks, been using corks for several years, would like to screw in a plug and not worry about it popping out or needing corkscrew to remove it.

The older pre 1972 deck drain plugs were press fit into the deck with no flange. The screw in plug part bottomed out at the internal flange. Then in 1972 they added a flange and used the split pins to hold it onto the deck, similar pin that held the mast and halyard bases on the mast. The plug you purchased is the third style deck plug made of plastic. The only issue with this style is that it is not flush with the deck. Also as you found out needs a larger hole in the deck to be installed. You can make a bigger hole or buy a used deck drain plug. I have a couple of these. I prefer the new plastic ones as they are replaceable for cheap money.
Thanks, I meant the bailer in the cockpit, not the drain plug on the deck.

The difference is not too significant in the plastic bailers, but there are two distinct differences in metal bailers. ("De Persia").

Until I get my metal bailers sorted out, I'm using a NAPA "adjustable rubber freeze-plug". It should be in stock @ $5, and measure 1¼". Put the larger washer inside.

Hi Alan l would be glad to buy one of your brass deck drain plug assays if you still have one available

I’m assuming that the threaded male part is too long, as I have a 71 Sunfish and had the same problem. What I did was to drill a hole through a piece of wood and then screwed the bailer into that. I then ran the board through a table saw and cut off the offending amount of thread. The point of doing it that way is that I got a nice straight and clean cut. I cannot remember the exact amount I cut off, but maybe it was 1/4 inch?

If you don’t want to go through that bother, you can probably just use a hacksaw.

Hope that helps.

Serpant,

I do have one brass pressfit (no set pins) deck bailer with brass screw in cap for $10 + shipping (see photo in this string, above.) If you want one, e-mail your address to me: [email protected] and i will figure the postage and reply with a total.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

I agree with wjejr. After cutting, you can use a file or grinder to match the threads.

I have a new problem. Lake Michigan destroyed my Sunfish. Ripped the boat off my dolly, jammed the dolly up shore under trees, shattered the boat into many pieces. So I'm looking for a replacement part for my Seitech dolly. Not finding luck on line. Ideas? Also looking to buy used Sunfish, Door County, Wisconsin.

I have a new problem. Lake Michigan destroyed my Sunfish. Ripped the boat off my dolly, jammed the dolly up shore under trees, shattered the boat into many pieces. So I'm looking for a replacement part for my Seitech dolly. Not finding luck on line. Ideas? Also looking to buy used Sunfish, Door County, Wisconsin.
"The 'gales of November' came early"? :(

Oops...:oops: wrong lake! :confused:

Sorry about your Sunfish and dolly. Check your homeowner's insurance for both items.

With the off-season approaching, now is a good time to find an unwanted "heavy" Sunfish.

Come to think of it, I recently advertised on Craigslist for a winter-damaged sailboat "project" of about 20' (Paying $200)--trailer not needed.

The first response offered a 23' MacGregor. :) The second response offered a 20' Mariner--for free! :):cool::) I took the Mariner, and it's in great shape. I let him keep the trailer, which I think he wanted for his next boat. :rolleyes:

Also, save some Sunfish pieces--pieces of deck, sections of chine--they'll come in handy some day. Maybe not for you, but for a neighbor?

I could use the trim but if the boat was that
completely wrecked I'm guessing is pretty
bent up. How much you want for the
drain plug? Any intact section of the hull
can be cut out to repair another boat. Keel
section/bow section you list it and someone
here will need it. Sell for parts and you will
easily make enough money to buy another
one. Always someone needing a mast, I could
use a boom. You're sitting on a gold mine
of splintered fiberglass. Makes me want
to wreck my boat and sell it for parts. I'm
only 20 miles from the shore, Lake Michigan
do your stuff!

[QUOTE="Webfoot1, How much you want for the
drain plug?[/QUOTE]
I believe that was the one part Diddy was looking for to complete the boat!

I have some Seitech dolly parts. Mostly the T bracket. But also rubber handle sleeves, bolts and nuts.
Thanks. Not sure what the proper name is, but I need the black plastic fitting that connects to the axle, just inside the wheel. The part I want slides over the axle, and then the vertical piece that holds the sling fits in from the top.

completely wrecked I'm guessing is pretty
bent up. How much you want for the
drain plug? Any intact section of the hull
can be cut out to repair another boat. Keel
section/bow section you list it and someone
here will need it. Sell for parts and you will
easily make enough money to buy another
one. Always someone needing a mast, I could
use a boom. You're sitting on a gold mine
of splintered fiberglass. Makes me want
to wreck my boat and sell it for parts. I'm
only 20 miles from the shore, Lake Michigan
do your stuff!
I'm going to hang onto the drain plug for now, until I see what sort of new (used) Sunfish I end up with over the winter. Once I see what I get, I may have all sorts of bits and pieces to sell. Are sections of fiberglass really of use to boat owners? I was able to retrieve the entire deck, in one piece, from the lake bottom and maybe 2/3 of the hull, in half a dozen pieces.

completely wrecked I'm guessing is pretty bent up. How much you want for the drain plug? Any intact section of the hull can be cut out to repair another boat. Keel section/bow section you list it and someone here will need it. Sell for parts and you will easily make enough money to buy another one. Always someone needing a mast, I could use a boom. You're sitting on a gold mine of splintered fiberglass. Makes me want to wreck my boat and sell it for parts. I'm only 20 miles from the shore, Lake Michigan do your stuff!

For example, I just cleaned under my mainsheet block of my ex-racer Sunfish.

Apparently, the previous owner had drilled holes for at least two different blocks, weakening the deck enough to create a large pattern of spider cracks.

Fullscreen capture 9252019 83916 PM.bmp.jpg

I'd like a postcard-sized piece of undamaged deck—actually two—as I'd bond the two and make a "sandwich" of the weakened area.

I know what you're saying, as I was bred for sammiches. ;)

.You're sitting on a gold mine of splintered fiberglass. Makes me want to wreck my boat and sell it for parts.

I'm only 20 miles from the shore, Lake Michigan--do your stuff!

The compound curves in original stock pieces would fair to the deck easier and look more professional. I'd bond 'em with epoxy, and clamp the bleep out of 'em.

I have a plastic version with o-ring as a replacement. I have about 10 in stock. Contact me at cjo1023 at yahoo dot com.

I am sold out oif these metal deck drain assemblies but I am getting a wrecked 1968 'parts boat' next week that might have one. Send an e-mail to me: [email protected] and I will reply either way when I get the parts boat.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

If that doesn't work, I was able to find a bolt and thread count that did work for the metal drain plug. I had to cut the bolt to length.

I can't seem to find the info on it, I can research this more if needed

Back