1973 Laser value?

carlv

I have recently purchased a 1973 laser with everything original except the lines and am wondering a couple things...
1.) Should I put in an inspection port to help keep it dry inside?
2.) I believe its HIN is in the 7K range, is this of a collector vintage?
3.) Should I keep it all original?
I'm a casual sailor and this is a well cared for boat with the original Elvstrom sail. I don't want to mess it up if it's more desirable as-is.
Anyone? Thanks....

I sold one last summer and got 700 with trailer. You might want to install an inspection port in it. There are threads on here as to where and how to. If you
are gonna just day sail with it I wouldn't worry about the upgrades. You might
want a new mainsheet line and pick up a practice sail from Intensity sails. They
are a sponsor and the elvstron is probably blown out. Good sailing

I have recently purchased a 1973 laser with everything original except the lines and am wondering a couple things...
1.) Should I put in an inspection port to help keep it dry inside?
2.) I believe its HIN is in the 7K range, is this of a collector vintage?
3.) Should I keep it all original?
I'm a casual sailor and this is a well cared for boat with the original Elvstrom sail. I don't want to mess it up if it's more desirable as-is.
Anyone? Thanks....

If the boat isnt staying dry inside, then you should probably put In an inspection port to find out why; inspection ports are also handy to carry stuff. Just FYI, this old of a laser is filled with Styrofoam blocks... and any real inspection will require removing them.

I havent known there to be any real "collectors" market for old lasers in the same way one might collect an old comic book. Sure, there are many folks that are interested in extremely perfect specimens of old lasers, I just havent seen this translate into someone paying a premium for a boat of such vintage and condition.

You should keep it all original if you desire it so. As I said above, I dont think there is a large collectors market that would attach too much value to an "all original" 1973. I personally think the wooden daggerboard, grabrails and rudder are more attractive than the fiberglass/foamcore counterparts, so I will hang on to and maintain those parts as long as possible.

Time was that the elvstroms were hoarded for a while after they were replaced, now they are more of a novelty.

I wouldnt worry too much about keeping it original, I would worry about keeping it class legal, if not for the good of the class, for the good of the boat and the sailor that might own it next.

I'm not sure about the HIN in the 7,000's and the 1973 year matching up... I have HIN 1169 and I believe that to be a 1973... the really old numbers like our boats make it difficult to determine the year definitively.

Back