1966 Self Bailer

Swede

Hopefully not an oft-repeated question....was the old style (such as in 1966) self bailer cap screwed in or simply pushed in as a plug? I don't think it has been removed on my boat for a couple of decades and I don't want to do ham fisted damage to it in removing it. Any one have any tips for getting it out gingerly? Thanks Fred for your reply on the bow handle. John

if it is a bailer made of metal with a circular round top, then you should put some wd-40 or some other anti rust oil then carefully twist it out theres on o-ring on the bottom which will stop you from pulling it straight out.

Yes, circular metal cap with O ring underneath, it has with small ridges around the edge of it which made me think that it might be screwed in...for finger purchase. Thanks. John

Yup, BUT since the cap and body it screws onto are dissimilar metals corrosion happens on the threads a lot with them. If after several applications of one of the products used for stuck threads and vice grips won't turn it you'll need to replace the bailer or do without.

Back