1963 Wooden Sunfish

Finally got my old Sunfish on the water... this it's first time out in about thirty years!
photo.JPG IMG_2504.JPG 3.JPG

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 307
Beautiful sunny. I'm not a huge fan of sunfish, mainly because I'm a little sick of hauling the overly heavy ones that have been water-logged since the '70s, but I wouldn't mind sailing that boat.

This one's a bit heavy, as you would imagine, but I've certainly hauled glass ones a lot heavier. It's a nice sail - no 'oil-canning' when cutting through waves!

Beautiful Sunfish IF you ever get inclined to put a "for sale" sign on it, I would be interested.

Beautiful Sunfish IF you ever get inclined to put a "for sale" sign on it, I would be interested.
I actually will be selling it at some point..... Probably not for another year. While I love having it, I'm nearing retirement age, and with four other boats (all glass), this is probably the one I'll get rid of. As you can imagine, it draws some attention where I sail, and I've already received a couple of offers for it..... I'll be sure to post here if/when I put that 'for sale' sign on it.

Wow! Lovely! Thank you for showing her to us. Now I would like to borrow her...
Well, then, maybe a video with audio (I love the sound of a wooden hull, waves). Can you send an attachment to the FRAGRANCE folder?
Lucky you. Nice photos.

Thanks.
It's funny, one of the comments I often hear is "that belongs in your living room.... Not on the water". One of my friends in our sailing club agreed, so we found a place on our family room wall where it would fit, and devised a way to hang it on the wall for the winter. We thought it would look great - my wife - not so much. Suffice it to say its still outside...

that is a beautiful boat. Even knowing that sail is probably original, that boat would be even more stunning with a solid white sail.

Andy, we picked up your boats older sister yesterday, she's painted red. She's mostly complete, mast has been sleeved with aluminum on lower 1/3, rudder is old-old style. I had a few questions/

1) was your boat painted before?

2) was the deck scribed already or did you do that?

3) where did you get the bow handle? Our is not near that nice

Thanks
Kent

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 43
Hi Kent.... Looks like a great find/project!
My boat was never painted. That is the original finish with layers of varnish added as needed. But never painted or refinished.
The deck was scribed when it was built. It was one of five or six boats built from the design from one kit. I've tried to find some of the other ones through our club with no luck, so it may be the only surviving one. It was built in 1963 in Altoona, PA by a group of (mostly) engineers who worked together. They were the origin of the Lake Glendale Sailing Club. I'm the third owner, and the bow handle was just as it is when I got it.
Good luck, and if any more pictures would help just let me know...
Andy

Hi Andy,

thanks for info. our bow handle is similar but stainless, so I'm wondring what was original. everything else on boat is brass or bronze.

What type of stain and varnish did you use?

This is said to be the 13th boat built, put together for a friend of AlCort. Surfaced as part of an estate sale, 7 years ago.

Kent

Hi Andy,

thanks for info. our bow handle is similar but stainless, so I'm wondring what was original. everything else on boat is brass or bronze.

What type of stain and varnish did you use?

This is said to be the 13th boat built, put together for a friend of AlCort. Surfaced as part of an estate sail 7 years ago.

Kent
Wish I could help you more with what might have been stock on yours, but since mine is exactly the way I got it, I really don't know that much about them. I'm sure there are others on this site much more knowlegable than me about your boat. I have used Petit varnish on mine, although I just got some Epifanes high gloss to try. I think either would be fine.
Again, if any more pictures would be helpful, just let me know.
Andy

Wish I could help you more with what might have been stock on yours, but since mine is exactly the way I got it, I really don't know that much about them. I'm sure there are others on this site much more knowlegable than me about your boat. I have used Petit varnish on mine, although I just got some Epifanes high gloss to try. I think either would be fine.
Again, if any more pictures would be helpful, just let me know.
Andy
Thanks!!

Its OK to drop your boat off here, we have Zip to keep her company :)

Attachments

• Audrey and Zip Day 1.jpg
    Audrey and Zip Day 1.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Kent Audrey and Zip.jpg
    Kent Audrey and Zip.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 41

Back