1963 Alcort Wooden Sunfish CHIP Restoration

L&VW

How would it sail now that the center of effort has been moved aft?

For your canoe, you could get away with a single leeboard, but the crossmember should be made of metal. The crossmember should be shaped like an "L", with the bottom about the size of a postcard, and, if aluminum, ⅜" thick. Its two-clamp placement would be about one foot aft of the mast. I'll send a picture of the shape I'd copied from Grumman, but re-made and enlarged in ½" marine plywood.

Those original parts were sold to a chap in Maine, who wanted sail-power for his Folbot kayak—Of which, I have two. :confused:

Attachments

L&VW

How would it sail now that the center of effort has been moved aft? For your canoe, you could get away with a single leeboard, but the crossmember should be made of metal. The crossmember should be shaped like an "L", with the bottom about the size of a postcard, and, if aluminum, ⅜" thick. Its two-clamp placement would be about one foot aft of the mast. I'll send a picture of the shape I'd copied from Grumman, but re-made and enlarged in ½" marine plywood. Those original parts were sold to a chap in Maine, who wanted sail-power for his Folbot kayak—Of which, I have two. :confused:
:) As promised—The general shape of the Grumman leeboard for their sailing canoe. Although this leeboard (1 of 2) is almost twice as wide as the original, the shape follows the leading and trailing edges. Put another way: you could remove the center 2-½ inches, vertically, and have the size and shape of the original.

Fullscreen capture 6152019 84518 PM.bmp.jpg

signal charlie

Staff member
Thread starter #45
Great! WHat's the length, I was thinking a Shadow or Barrington board may work, although we are going to try adding a mizzen first...to the canoe.

Back to CHIP, we sanded the rubrail with 120 grit on a DeWALT random orbital sander and applied the first coat of paint.

IMG_0537.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG

IMG_0539.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG

signal charlie

Staff member
Thread starter #47
Sail is laced onto the spars with 1/8th inch diameter line from New England Ropes.

IMG_0671.JPG

Installed the coaming and some other bits. Made the floorboards and applied first coat of paint.

IMG_0709.JPG

She seems to be ready for Sea Trials...

IMG_0710.JPG

IMG_0715.JPG

signal charlie

Staff member
Thread starter #49
CHIP moved off the finishing dolly and onto WAVE's Dynamic Dolly, preparation for Sea Trials.

IMG_0804 (1).JPG

Current state of the Sunfish Shack, (L-R): Penobscot 14 ST. JACQUES, 1955 Alcort Super Sailfish ZSA ZSA, 1981 AMF Alcort Sunfish MADISON, 1982 AMF ALcort Sunfish PHOENIX and 1963 wooden Alcort Sunfish CHIP.

IMG_0817.JPG