1959 vs. 1960 Alcort Sailfish Identifier?

SmoothSailing

Pirateer, Sunfish & Sailfish Owner
A long-time family friend just blessed me with his elderly parent's "Alcort, Inc. Sailfish" yesterday.

I've since studied the "Evolution of the Sunfish," article, http://kb.sunfishforum.com/images/history/timeline.pdf and believe I've narrowed it down to being a 1959 or 1960 model. How can I tell for certain (so I can apply for my State's Boat Launch permit, using accurate information)?

In referencing timeline: It's Fiberglass, (with green deck, green and white sail) has the "Alcort, Inc." oval, (shown in the 1949 example, not the square shown in the 1960 example), does not appear to have HIN or Serial Number listed anywhere, LOA 13'8" (instead of 13'7" or 13'10," as I would have expected), and has one white "Alcort Sailfish" sticker on either side of the transom. Also, there's merely glue where the Sail patch/identifier would have once been.

Here's a few photographs:
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

...Also, as I look at Sunfish & Sailfish in Instagram, it's also important to point out the top of our's is flat, and has no cutout/s for feet or storage.

you are so fortunate and to have the stories that go with the boat. That was my first :fish: although it was wooden Every summer was spent painting the deck with the grit paint. Poor thing had a Viking death sorry to say. But great memories.
K

Just my opinion, but if you have gotten close enough of a date to call it 1959 or 1960, and there are no identifying marks anywhere on the boat - then just pick one and use it. The permit people won't really care if it is a year or a few off.

I have an old Sunfish (late 1960's) and a similar age Super Porpoise. I just picked a year - they didn't even question it.

Best of luck - it's a nice looking boat!

Just my opinion, but if you have gotten close enough of a date to call it 1959 or 1960, and there are no identifying marks anywhere on the boat - then just pick one and use it. The permit people won't really care if it is a year or a few off.

I have an old Sunfish (late 1960's) and a similar age Super Porpoise. I just picked a year - they didn't even question it.

Best of luck - it's a nice looking boat!

Thanks Everyone! I delved deeper, and also reviewed numerous other website, including but not limited to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailfish_(sailboat) and also called both current authorities (Sunfish and Laser Performance), and have come to the conclusion it's a 1959.

I've also learned that in PA for a standard issue Boat Launch Permit, a missing HIN is a nonissue for a boat of this age (before 1972), however a HIN will need to be assigned if eventually Registering (for reciprocity in neighboring States) as an Unpowered Watercraft, which may involve a few more hoops...but overall, not a big deal.

Early production fiberglass Sailfish did not have the aluminum rub rail.

The serial # was stamped on the bronze deck plate before they started putting it on the Alcort deck tag.

P1_zpsa09fb48c.jpg

THANK-YOU SailTheFish!!! I looked over her w/a fine tooth comb, searching the Transom, etc (everywhere I'd read the HIN would be on these), and you're officially THE ONLY source who seems to have pointed this Serial Number out! I had hypothesized her being a 1959, but now stand corrected, able to identify her as being a 1962, cross referencing the Serial Number you've helped me to locate...Thanks-Again! I'm fine for now w/Launch Permit, but will be nice to have my ducks in a row when I eventually Register her...as a 1962.

Hi SmoothSailing,

Nice boat, what you have is officially called a Super Sailfish MKII. The original Standard Sailfish was wooden and about 11'7". The Super Sailfish was wooden and grew to approx 13'7". The fiberglass version was designated Super Sailfish MKII.

We have a 1963 and it has the silver tag with serial number just behind the mast, so 1962 should be a safe bet. Can you post a picture of the serial number, that would be cool to see?

PS: Now you can start the search for the elusive rudder pin with keeper chain. There is a little chain that goes from the tiny screw next to the rudder deck plate back to the rudder pin.

Have fun
Kent

Last edited:
Had her out today, and she did well! The only thing I noticed (besides the missing brass chain, thanks SailtheFish...I'll need to fabricate one of those, as the string I'd used broke, but pin still intact)...is that the cables in the rear, which used to be fully coated in plastic have worn down to the bare cables...which are rough on the rudder arm...anyone have any tips on re-coating it? I've toyed with the idea of using heat wraps (normally intended for electrical connections), from Harbor Freight, but I don't know if the rubber would create too much resistance...ideas? Something needs to be done, to preserve rudder arm.

Had her out today, and she did well! The only thing I noticed (besides the missing brass chain, thanks SailtheFish...I'll need to fabricate one of those, as the string I'd used broke, but pin still intact)...is that the cables in the rear, which used to be fully coated in plastic have worn down to the bare cables...which are rough on the rudder arm...anyone have any tips on re-coating it? I've toyed with the idea of using heat wraps (normally intended for electrical connections), from Harbor Freight, but I don't know if the rubber would create too much resistance...ideas? Something needs to be done, to preserve rudder arm.
Howdy
You can buy those new from most Sunfish Parts Houses, try Annapolis Performance Sailing (APS). Or post a Wanted Ad on the appropriate section of this Forum, some of our rehabbers probably have one. In the mean time you can put a couple of wraps of gaff tape around the tiller, it will come off easily later and not leave residue.

Fair Winds
Kent

Hello again, everyone! I figured since you were all so helpful last time...perhaps you could help me again. Our Sailfish has been doing wonderfully by the way.

I couldn't resist taking free ownership of what I'm hypothesizing to be an old Alcort Sunfish yesterday, which the owners of ten years knew nothing about, having apparently acquired it via estate sale, some ten years ago now...where it sat, outside, and they finally got tired of mowing around it. These kind folks blessed me with the sailboat and mast, though it's currently missing the sail, daggerboard and rudder.

I've looked where you had directed me to locate the Hull ID number on my Sailfish (where it was, thanks-again), but that same area is blank on this 'new' (vintage) Sunfish, as pictured here. Nor would there appear to be an "Alcort Deck Tag," from what I can see...unless I'm looking in the wrong place/s. That said, any guess as to where I might find it?

Sunfish.jpg SunfishII.jpg

I did notice the entire watercraft appears to have been spray painted flat white at some point, likely to make it look pretty again, rather than 'yellowed,' like an old surfboard.

Also, I'll be digging my Sailfish gear out again soon, to see if any of it's 100% compatible with this newly acquired Sunfish. In the meantime, anyone know if it might be? Sorry, I haven't had a chance to clean her up yet...just picked her up late last night, after work.

Thanks in advance.

Hi your boat looks like a 1968, based on the double stripe and old hardware. If it still has the data plate it should be a silver plate behind the coaming.
Your rudder fitting will be too short, as the fiberglass Sunfish transom is taller than the Super Sailfish MKII. The daggerboard is also shorter.

Hi your boat looks like a 1968, based on the double stripe and old hardware. If it still has the data plate it should be a silver plate behind the coaming.
Your rudder fitting will be too short, as the fiberglass Sunfish transom is taller than the Super Sailfish MKII. The daggerboard is also shorter.

Thanks, yeah...you're right...the Sailfish gear does not fit the Sunfish...though I imagine the sail itself would be interchangeable. I've looked everywhere, and no data plate/HIN can be found...but two of you have suggested it's likely a 1968 now, which I greatly appreciate your hypothesis on.

Thanks, I'm now watching that eBay listing...though I'm hoping to locate something locally via Craigslist or Freecycle...as I've seen this stuff pop up from time to time...just didn't need it then. Not in any sort of rush, since I've still got the fully operational Sailfish, Pirateer...and numerous Kayaks, Canoes and Inflatable watercraft to keep us busy.

Quick question though...what's the easiest way to do some minor fiberglass patchwork on the bottom of the Sunfish? (Cracks/Dings). I know "Sun Resin" or "Sun Cure" was a quick, easy, permanent fix for my Surfboards, but have never tried it on a Sailboat. Thoughts?

...Quick question though...what's the easiest way to do some minor fiberglass patchwork on the bottom of the Sunfish? (Cracks/Dings). I know "Sun Resin" or "Sun Cure" was a quick, easy, permanent fix for my Surfboards, but have never tried it on a Sailboat. Thoughts?

I am a fan of white Marine Tex epoxy putty to repair small gouges, it comes in a small kit and the color is a decent match for the gelcoat. It is around $20. Other folks like epoxy or polyester resin, mixed up with some filler as needed. The boat was made with polyester resin, but the epoxy sticks as well and is a little stronger.

http://smallboatrestoration.blogspot.com/2013/03/rosebuds-deck-paint-prep.html

Back