1959 Fiberglass Sunfish

Pelican

Hello,

I am new to Sunfish sailboats...just bought my first one, a 2004 and I love it! :D But want to pick up another Sunfish boat to share with family and friends.

I found a 1959 fiberglass boat in very good condition. The fiberglass still has a shiny finish and it's never been redone. All original equipment and sail and she looks great! Always been stored indoors. Gently sailed.

My questions for those of you that are more knowlegable than I am, what should I beware of in a boat this age :confused: Can the older hulls be competitive, even if just for one on one fun with my newer boat:confused:

Any info would be appreciated on this year of boat. I think it was the first year they were made in fiberglass, but am not even positive about this.

Look forward to your responses!

Janet

I found a 1959 fiberglass boat in very good condition. I think it was the first year they were made in fiberglass, but am not even positive about this.

Can the older hulls be competitive
Janet,

1959 is when they began building the fiberglass Sunfish. Officially the model year is 1960, but of course, just like cars or any consumer product for that matter, production must begin in the preceding calendar year for product to be in the stores by New Years day.

According to an interview with the Alcort founders printed in The Sunfish Bible, they say their record keeping wasn't the most disciplined in those days so the early serial number list appears to show the build year rather than the model year.

I only mention this because when you say 1959, if you don't qualify that by explaining the hull is fiberglass, sailors more familiar with the chronology will think its made of wood.

Is this boat competitive with your 2004? Your 2004 is 20 lb lighter and has a more efficient rudder and daggerboard. Beyond those generational handicaps, so long as the older boat's condition is very good, competition would have more to do with the skipper's skill level than the boat.

Thanks Wayne,

All good info.

Is the reason for the 20 pound weight difference known?

If I wanted to update the rudder and daggerboard...I know the rudder assembly hardware is different, but can newer daggerboards work interchangeably with the older style Sunfish?

Is the reason for the 20 pound weight difference known?
Refinement in production . . .

4912615442_aa90bcbf8b_z.jpg

If I wanted to update the rudder and daggerboard...I know the rudder assembly hardware is different, but can newer daggerboards work interchangeably with the older style Sunfish?
All the daggerboard styles will fit all generations of Sunfish. They do caution the composite daggerboard, being a little thicker, might find a tight fit in older boats if there's fiberglass overerage protruding into the slot, however, this is simply a matter of sanding smooth.

If it's a 59 Fiberglass I'd be inclined to keep things as original as possible. Would not really make any difference in value but Retro/Antique is cool to own. Maybe a inspection port in the cockpit wall where it will not show so much. If it has the original sail better still.
The 1940's and 1950's are my favorite years for collecting Nautical mayhem.

Back