1959-1960 FRP Alcort Inc. Sunfish

bg1

Please reply with credible information concerning Alcort Inc. transition from wood to fiberglass manufacturing during 1959. Most helpful would be referral to surviving employees, earliest dealers and owners of Sunfish in the serial number range: 2000 to 3000.

The serial number may be found hand dye-stamped on the starboard vertical surface of the bronze rudder deck plate. The serial number is known to be at this location as late as 1965 models. This is not to be confused with the patent number casting.

Your contribution will be appreciated as we approach the 50th anniversary of the Fiberglass Sailfish and Sunfish.

Are you aware of the book, The Sunfish Bible? It has an account of the history. Copies are available through the Class Association office ( http://www.sunfishclass.org/class-office.php ). Is there something specific you are looking up or just general background info? The discussions about the old boats I've read lean to celebrating the inception of the design over the Sailfish which was, I think, 1952.

I have accumulated a considerable library of information concerning Alcort Inc. 1959 operations. Specifically, I am interested in the date sequencing of mold making and initial lay-up of Sunfish, the distribution of the first FRP Sailfish and Sunfish to dealers and the marketing program. Discussion with those parties located near Waterbury and Naugatuck, CT would be most helpful.

Thanks for elaborating. Thought you might be trying to locate a specific piece or present-day equivalent for an older boat. That sounds like your working on some sort of industrial science textbook about fiberglass in manufacturing. Sorry I can’t be of any help there. My interest doesn’t reach into that yesteryear back office factory stuff except for the historical trivia related to current upkeep. Best of luck with your research project.

You will likely have to do some legwork to track down someone who might know the people you are looking for. I'd start with Will White, who has been involved with Sunfish for a long time and might know some names of people for you to contact. You might contact Bob Buttner, the class historian. He might have some names for you in his files who you should contact. There is also a fellow who used to work at the plant and I believe has a website selling new old stock Alcort parts. You might be able to find his site and thus his name at the Yahoo Sunfish group. Best of luck. BB

B.B., Thanks for the reply. In fact, we are attempting to identify additional yet existing FRP Sunfish in the serial number range of 2170, which may have been produced as early as May, 1959. See pictures at Sunfish_Sailor. Can you assist with sources and information in France, and throughout Europe? As to your referrals, we each have and continue to exchange information. Thank you for continued interest. Bill, Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Yes, Howie would be a great resource!

There was manufacturing of Sunfish in Italy, if I recall correctly, but I don't know of much history of the Class in France. There was a fellow, Charlot Ras-Allard, who has dual citizenship, who utilized his French citizenship to create a Class association to gain entry into the World Championship, but I don't even know if 10 people from France ever joined or not. There may be some French West Indies islands that have developed Class associations (each country joins the International Association, individuals join their Country Association), so I know from time to time results at World Championships have reflected "France" when the people were truly from somewhere else. I've been active in the Class for 25 years and have read almost anything that has been written.

You might call Terry in the Class Office to gain his suggestions, too.

Good luck. Please notify us, whenever you complete your project, so we may share in your knowledge!

Gail, Thank you for your reply. At this time, I am attempting to make contact with Sunfish Class members residing near Waterbury, CT. There is certain references in the public library that would take several hours to review however, it would be most valuable in the next step of my research.

I am sensitive about posting names. But yes, Sunfish were manufactured in Italy and Canada by a company licensed by Alcort. It was founded by a former Pan Am Airways executive. As most principals in the Sunfish founding, he has also passed away.

Any assistance will be appreciated. I have no commercial interest in this research, and I will most certainly share my findings.

Thanks, Bill

I FOUND THIS ONLINE .... YOU GUYS PROBABLY KNOW THIS INFO ALREADY , BUT I FOUND IT INTERESTING ;

Ten Cate (pronounced Kata) manufactured the Sunfish under license in Holland. Korna Boats of Canada produced the boats in their Clinton, Ontario, plant. New plants were built in Chile and Uruguay to produce the boat under license. Fogh, a Danish company, manufactured sails. They produced Sunfish sails for many years.

While Hans Fogh may be of danish ancestry his sail loft that produced sails for Sunfish is in Ontario, Canada and has been purchased by North sails.
I know because Hans years ago made me a custom all red sail from 3.9 oz fleet cloth based on what would later be the racing sail pattern and had the class approved label on it.

Back