1953 Sunfish Zip Sailing

signal charlie

Staff member
Took our wooden Sunfish Zip out today along with her younger sister Madison. We wanted to check out how Zip handled with a longer 1965 daggerboard and her new bronze spar interlocking hardware. Last time we sailed Zip with the 33 inch daggerboard the boat just went sideways.

Skipper sailed Madison first to get warmed up and I got the honors of trying to not sink Zip. The wooden boat's chine is smaller and a little chop sends water over the deck, under the mahogany coaming and into the cockpit. That's not so good as the cockpit on this boat is open into the hull, so we'll sail her in fair weather most of the time as I'm not sure I want to silicone that mahogany coaming to the deck. Trying to avoid getting water inside the hull as that might encourage rot.

Zip sailed great with the 1965 daggerboard, tacked on a dime and gave a little change. The rudder was upgraded by a previous owner to a second generation blade, more surface area and longer than the elephant ear original, so we like that. We also added a block in the cockpit, liked that and may upgrade that to a ratchet block. The sail we had made at Schurr Sails Pensacola set very nice and I was not able to catch the Skipper, even on Madison with her new Schurr sail.

All in all a great day, 72 degrees air and water temp, winds 8-10 knots.

Fair Winds
Kent and Audrey

Attachments

• Madison Nov 13.jpg
    Madison Nov 13.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Zip dolly launch.jpg
    Zip dolly launch.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Zip halyard up.jpg
    Zip halyard up.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 41