1953 or 54 mahogany sunfish questions

tzzscv

I own what AMF told me is a 53 or 54 (cannot remember the exact year) mahogany sunfish. It is complete and original. I was sailing it and because the paint was aging I had it stripped and the slight scratches ect. were repaired. I was told by AMF that they did not know of any of these surviving but this one not only survives but it has proven to be faster than the fiberglass models in more brisk winds on the inland lake in Michigan where I live. I am seriously thinking of selling this, (I am no closer to finishing this project than I was 8 years ago when I began) hopefully to someone that is really interested in the nostalgia of one of these wooden boats. The problem is that I have no idea of what would be a fair asking price for one of these that is original, has all of the original pieces and possibly even the original sail. The boat is stripped, the pieces are in boxes (I have to find the full length rub strips yet) and it is ready for paint (I have a gallon of Superthane that matches the yellow in the sail. I am looking for advice from any of you out there. Thanks

I'd love to see some pictures of what you have, even if it's disassembled.

Are the mast and spars wood?

Is the sail 6 panel cotton?

There are some examples of restored wood Sunfish at the Wooden Boat Forum and Sunfish Sailor Group. Don't recall if there's any mention of restoration cost. Unrestored wood Sunfish show up every so often. The boats I've bid on sold in the $250 - $300 neighborhood.

Here are a couple of examples to help you date yours, 1950s vintage and 1960s vintage respectively.
(that's a new sail and spars on the '60s model, in case you were wondering)

Attachments

• 1950s Wood Sunfish.jpg
    1950s Wood Sunfish.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 1960s Wood Sunfish.jpg
    1960s Wood Sunfish.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 71

Back