16' Daysailer Suggestions

Tater

Hi Gang,
I am new here. I have been away from sailing for many years. I want something about 16 feet with good performance and capacity for at least 2 adults. The budget will support $10K including a trailer. Suggestions welcome, please.

I would suggest a Wayfarer:

wayfarer.jpg

These have reasonable performance, can easily fit 2 adults in and are supurb for day sailing!

My search has gotten easier. The club I am interested in has a "One Design" policy for new members. Of their fleets, only the Cllub 420 will suit all my requirements. I have only seen pictures of the 420. Maybe I'll see one this weekend. OTOH, I have found a leftover, Catalina 16.5 at a good price.

Hi

The Rebel is a really nice 16' daysailer. It's designed to be raced with a crew of 2 but the cockpit is pretty roomy if you want to just tool around witth some friends or family. I once went out with 3 adults and two children. There was more than enough room and with 166 sqft of sail it still moved quite nicely. I've attached the sail plan.

Attachments

• Rebel sailboat.doc
    44.5 KB · Views: 54
Suggest considering moving on up to 17' and getting a "real" Daysailer. The Uffa Fox design is classic and you can race with 2 or 3 or just daysail with up to 4. The Daysailer 1 design is what you want! Wonderful classic boat with a good class association.

You are so right about the O'Day Daysailors. I have been looking to buy one and found what looked like a real deal on Craig's list. Long story short, I waited to long while I debated on which boat would have to go (Comet or Petrel) and the boat was gone. Still looking for one in Up-State NY at the 'right' price.

Back