15mph winds tomorrow! Finally..!

Wind! Where?

I was in a race (more like random drift) yesterday where the Flying Scot class couldn't even fill their chutes.

On the good side, me and my Sunfish beat two Lasers in the light air.

Congrats! Still sounded like fun even with light wind.

Its been dead here for awhile (North Texas) and when there has been wind I have been stuck at work. Good side is with the heat wave a few weeks ago I managed to dry my fish out and do some much needed trailer work.

I plan on getting out there as much as I can for the rest of the summer, that means I will not be afraid to call in!! My priorities are straight. ;)

Wind! Where?
I was in a race (more like random drift) yesterday where the Flying Scot class couldn't even fill their chutes.

You're not alone, everybody has days like that . . .

d%20tour%201_sml.jpg

Photo - Sailing Anarchy

I actually caught some wind for the first time this week in VA. I paddled out, well I tried to, against the wind and got pushed into a cove before I could hoist the sail. My wife & daughter came to my rescue with the jetski and towed me out into open water (photo soon). I'm really hoping for good wind this weekend, since a friend with a sunfish will be joining me.

I too am going nuts waiting for wind here in central Ohio. Seems like every day I have off the air is dead calm and 90+ degrees. What really stinks is that I just got this boat in May and have yet to get it on the water. My wife just gives me that look as it sits in the garage taking up space.:eek:

Ended up with 20-23 mph winds here yesterday it was nuts. White caps everywhere. The launch point was between two rows of high dollar sailboats, made me too nervous about drifting into them before I could get underway so I aborted. I figured if I had a bit more experience (and time, had school coming up later that afternoon) it would have been still challenging but not dangerous. I would of hated to damage someone's fancy boat, so I opted out...oh well, maybe this weekend.

Yahoo !!!! I finally got my fish in the water for the first time after getting it two and half months ago. We had 10 kts and with the occasional gust to 16. Being a newbie sailor I had a little bit of stage fright at the boat ramp, and managed not to embarrass myself paddling away from the dock. Of course hoisting the sail and getting under way was probably a sight for all the folks fishing on the rocks.:eek: I'm sure they all had a good laugh! I have only sailed the sunfish( or any other boat ) twice in my beginner sailing class, but there is nothing like sailing your own boat. I only capsized once and of course when she did she went turtle and very quick. Being a newbie I forgot to tie off the dagger board and it slid all the way out. I finally managed to right the fish and get under way with just enough daylight to get her on the trailer. Great day, I'm addicted! :D

Edward - that sounds like a great 1st day. maybe a bit frustrating while in the thick of it, but the memory gets "funner" the more you think about it.

I turtled twice my 1st time out this year... I'm going to just use the excuse that my shorty wetsuit was making me too hot, and I needed to cool off!

cheers,
tag

Tag- You are absolutely right just the memory of last weekend has me excited to get on the water at the soonest opportunity! Its like golf in that even your worst round still beats the heck out of being in the office.

On a side note the only thing that scared the heck out of me when she turtled I somehow managed to get the tiller extension stuck in the back of my life jacket and started to pull me under. In my panic I managed to slip out of the life jacket under water and get out of a potentially bad situation.:eek: The other funny thing was that the only thing I lost was my sunglass croakies. When I righted the fish my sunglasses and hat were in the cockpit tube. amazing! I hate to say it, but this is the second time a life jacket has gotten me into trouble, the first time was when I was water skiing and couldnt get under a tow rope when another boat ran between me floating in the water and the boat towing me caught the tow rope and put a heck of a burn on my neck and ear. Just bad luck I guess. I will always wear a life jacket as I almost drowned once as a kid canoeing because I didn't have one on.

Anyway, I have had way more good things happen on the water then bad.

On a side note the only thing that scared the heck out of me when she turtled I somehow managed to get the tiller extension stuck in the back of my life jacket and started to pull me under. In my panic I managed to slip out of the life jacket under water and get out of a potentially bad situation.:eek: .....

Just bad luck I guess. I will always wear a life jacket as I almost drowned once as a kid canoeing because I didn't have one on.

Anyway, I have had way more good things happen on the water then bad.

that sounds like some bad luck! glad to see you kept your cool, and was able to get out of the sticky situation. here's hoping for WAY more good things to come.

cheers,
tag

beautiful weather this past weekend, and this was just after an afternoon storm. We had been out for a about two hours and here we are headed back home. I don't know what its called , but we are moving almost exactly with the wind.

2w2obxx.jpg

I don't know what its called , but we are moving almost exactly with the wind.
This might help with the terms.

(a) The Dead Zone or No Sail Zone
(b) Close hauled
(between b & c) Close Reach
(c) Beam reach
(d) Broad reach
(e) Running - the wind directly behind you

pointsofsail.JPG

Back