147 pound sunfish

Randy Ricchi

Okay, I just took several readings of my 1973 sunfish on my bathroom scale. The first one was 137.5, the next two were 147, then 149.5, then two more at 147. I figure the high and low were errors due to my accidentally supporting or leaning on the hull.

I know that's 17 pounds too heavy and that's equivalent to a little over 2 gallons of water but after reading some of the horror stories on this site about some boats, I'm kind of relieved that it's only that much.

I've read the posts about how to bore the inspection ports and do the ventilating, but I'm wondering if for this amount of excess weight would it be reasonable to go with just one inspection port rather than the more invasive, although more effective two ports? There is no water in the boat. It's been stored in the basement of a camp for the last 15 years or so (Upper Michigan).

I think if I went with one port I'd probably put it just aft of the coaming (splash guard?) because then I'd have access to the underside of the coaming (might have to put backing blocks in), the daggerboard slot, and the mast hole.

If I had to put a second port in I'm thinking it should be just forward of the rudder.

Anyway, what would you do if only trying to lose 17 pounds? One port or two?
Thanks.

Okay, I just took several readings of my 1973 sunfish on my bathroom scale. The first one was 137.5, the next two were 147, then 149.5, then two more at 147. I figure the high and low were errors due to my accidentally supporting or leaning on the hull
The published weigth for that period is 139#. The hand lay-up method made hull weights vary so that's not precise, but the point is you have a light-weight in the drying game.

I think you are right-on with a one port approach. I'd just sail this boat as normal and open up the port when it's not sailing. By this time next season good chance it will fit back into its 1973 prom tux. (Wish I'd only gained 8 to 17 lbs since '73.)

Do a leak test first ... that water came from somewhere and you may need a port to reach an area for repair. In that case that would be your placement for your one port. If no leak, chalk it up to 15 years of UP humidity condensation without ventilation and put your port where you think it will be the most sensible for your other projected needs.

The published weigth for that period is 139#.

That's interesting. Where do you find these published weights for the various model years?

I think you are right-on with a one port approach. I'd just sail this boat as normal and open up the port when it's not sailing. By this time next season good chance it will fit back into its 1973 prom tux. (Wish I'd only gained 8 to 17 lbs since '73.)

Wayne-san, you, much humor! (My Mr. Miyagi imitation)

Do a leak test first ... that water came from somewhere and you may need a port to reach an area for repair. In that case that would be your placement for your one port. If no leak, chalk it up to 15 years of UP humidity condensation without ventilation and put your port where you think it will be the most sensible for your other projected needs.

Good advice. Thanks!

Where do you find these published weights for the various model years?
People send them to me.

This flyer was published in 1972. I own a bone dry '78 hull that weighs 132 so you have to take the weight as a reference not an absolute. I just wanted you to know if your hull levels off a little higher than you expected not to cook the poor thing to death attempting to distill more out of it.

Attachments

• Sunfish Specs.jpg
    Sunfish Specs.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 35

Back