At this stage I'm just learning to sail. Grommets are ok. I patched some holes with sail tape. Power washed the dirt and grime off.
So I'm probably ok for now, and maybe better spend the money on a ratchet block.
I want to say thanks to this forum who helped me to get my fixer-upper to sail. With your help I was able to do the following repairs:
Modern rudder upgrade
Inspection ports installation
Minor hull patching
I'm happy to say that my wife and...
Since two of the self-drilling ones didn't tighten completely (i think they stripped the fiberglass), I would probably stick with the bolts next time.
For that reason, I put a bead of 4200 around the outside of the port. Not very pretty, but it works.
I did one inspection port with the self drilling screws, the other with nuts & bolts. Two of the self-drilling screws wouldn't completely tighten. Other than that, it worked ok.
The nuts & bolts method was more expensive, but also seems to be more solid.
I caulked with M3 4200, as shown below...