Your max speed on a SF?

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by papayamon2, Oct 27, 2006.

1. papayamon2

papayamon2 Member

Thanks for the answers to my other posts. One more, and I think I'm done (for now!)...

What is the fastest you've sailed on a Sunfish? I know that the details are debated due to relative speed because of currents, etc., but nevertheless in these days of GPS many of us have probably sailed on a windy day in fairly "currentless" waters and noted a consistent speed (not just a quick spike of "max speed"). Maybe you know a measurement from a leg of a race, etc.? I ask because I'm wondering how a Sunfish will relate thrill-wise to my Prindle 18 catamaran I just sold. I know it's not all about the thrills (hey, I like sunsets, too!), but I'm curious how fast one of these things will plane in a 15-20 knot breeze. Having only been on a Sunfish once on a fairly lame day, I don't have a good measurement. So, how fast have you gone?

Again, thanks!

2. supercub

supercub Member

Can't give you numbers for the max speed, but it is all relative. The SF is not a rocket, but neither is a go-cart compared to their bigger brothers. Both are close to the surface and that gives you the illusion you are going faster than you think. I am not familer with the Prindle Cat, but have sailed with other cats and, yes the cats were faster on windy days, but so are windsurfers, Thistles, Y-Flyers, Lasers and more. Being close to the water, hiking out and getting splashed in the face (did I mention these are wet boats) on a windy day all add up to the SF being fun. It will be a different type of thrill than your Prindle, but still a thrill on good windy days.

3. papayamon2

papayamon2 Member

No doubt it will be a thrill (especially w/ the low-to-the-water perspective), but I'm still curious to know a specific number regarding the speed people reach on these boats. Anybody here ever measure his or her speed out of curiousity?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Lakeland Phantom

Lakeland Phantom New Member

There was another thread in the last 6 months that debated the max speed of the sunfish. Maybe you can find that if the original posters are not into reposting their opinions.

5. nikobrogna

nikobrogna New Member

I've clocked my minifish (rigged with a standard sunfish sail) at about 9-11 mph, in a really good blow. In conditions like this, it always seemed that no matter which direction I was sailing, the telltales were showing the apparent wind to be more or less in front of me. I feel that a sunfish could definitely do 12 mph. Like it has been stated, being so close to the water is really thrilling.

6. mike4947

mike4947 Member

Best we'd get under normal conditions was 8 knots. Not on a plane.
    On a plane, on a broad reach, with over 20 knots of wind I did pass Flying Scotts with spinakers up. One said he was going 12 knots at the time I passed him to windward. I really didn't notice as it was survivail conditions for me...LOL On the verge of soaking my head when the gusts stopped and doing a death roll when the gusts hit.