Yo Aussie Boys! Sailing Under Heavy Winds

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Merrily, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Murphs

Murphs New Member

the wind was more squally than puffy

strong for 5 mins then lighter for 5 and then back again.

saturday afternoon here (hour noth of sydney) and ive got 10 knots, would be sailing but im studying

2. rock steady

rock steady New Member

Hey Geezer, whats that link? I use:

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/index.jsp

You gunna come sail with us one day?

3. Murphs

Murphs New Member

4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

www.wunderground.com is pretty good for US weather - detail by hour including windspeed. Clearly Australian winds had them flummoxed.

Sure - I'll come and sail with you in Australia one day. Got any Masters Regattas coming up in next year or so? When will Masters Worlds next be in Australia? I'll definitely come for that.

5. rock steady

rock steady New Member

Yep http://www.laser.asn.au/calendar_2.htm

6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

Well, I would come and sail in your Nationals at Brisbane and win the Grand Master trophy. But then I see in the NOR (section 16.2) that you are not allowed to win unless you're a resident of Australia.

What kind of rule is that? Are Yo Aussie Boys frightened of competition from a foreigner?

7. HECS

HECS New Member

Next Aussie Master's Worlds, February 2008, in the ocean off Terrigal. It's a great sailing spot about an hour north of Sydney.

I only just found out about it at the Coast championships and damn I'm excited! :)

Oldsailor, the fact that we keep our trophies to ourselves is a disgrace. I've said the same thing when we put it to a motion a while back, but the feeling was that it was a locals' championship and some people said it would be terrible for a local to lose what may be the only cube they ever win. That's BS IMHO, if you get beaten you get beaten, no matter where the other sailor comes from.

8. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

If that's right I will be there. I agree - Terrigal is a great spot - I actually went there a few years ago. It would be fantastic to go back.

9. Sail4SC

Sail4SC Member

[QUOTE Sure - I'll come and sail with you in Australia one day. Got any Masters Regattas coming up in next year or so? When will Masters Worlds next be in Australia? I'll definitely come for that.[/QUOTE]

Spring of 2008- Open and Masters Worlds is the rumor I heard...
    :)

10. TonyB

TonyB Member

Keeping the trophies in Australia makes sense to me - isn't the whole point of the Australian Championships to find the best Australian laser sailor? Overseas competition is welcome and prizes are still given to internationals who finish at the front, just not the cubes and perpetual trophies.

11. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

Yo Aussie Boys need to read your ILCA rules again. Bylaw 5 which specifically applies to the Australian Championship (section 1(c)) says in section 8 that the winner "shall be entitled" to receive the cube.

12. Bunky9590

Bunky9590 New Member

Had my first experience with heavy winds 2 weeks ago on Sunday. Winds steady on the lake of 28-35 MPH with gusts over 40. (One gust actually hit 58 MPH on the wind gauge) with the lake having 2.5' choppy waves.

4 experienced sailors were there and the wind was blowing straight back at the beach. I was told I'd never get it out there. I decided to try it. I had to set up the boat capsized as it wouldn't stay up in the breeze. I set it up with super vang and massive cunningham but left a little foot in the sail for some power.

Long story short, first run, I capsized three times (one so violent on a broad reach when a 48 mph gust flipped me right over), I got back on it again. I have never been so fast on a sailboat before on the beam reach, it was intense. I came in, rested up and went back out for a second run and a sunfish joined me. We both tore it up for about 1/2 hour and I managed to get more comfortable out there and not be as fearful for my life :D The sunfish capsized twice and I managed to stay up and gain a bit more speed the second run.

The wind was so strong though I kept my board down the entire time. :rolleyes:

This past sunday the wind was blowing around 15 MPH steady with gusts to 22 mph. It was like a walk in the park. I envy the aussies for having that much wind that often. I may have to take a trip down under and borrow a boat.

13. rock steady

rock steady New Member

Well done Bunky, thats the attitude which will make you a good heavy weather sailor. On-shore brezzes are really best, because if you break gear or can't right the boat you will just blow back to shore.