year of boats

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Teeftie, Oct 15, 2004.

1. LooserLu

LooserLu LooserLu

Normally our dear Bradley. Where is he?

Well, in the meantime try do it this way:
    Make a Reply. In the editor level scroll down there is a button for "Manage Attachments". Klick it and upload the pic´s. Make sure, the pic´are not to lage (under 600X400 pixels). the rest is explained there. With "create a conection" ( paste the pic´in the attachement-manager + right mousebutton +"create a conection") and paste into the reply-text-editor + review/submit reply you bring the pic to the Thread. I hope this works.
    Ciao
    LooserLu
    Macwas16, did you get the text I posted you some weeks ago to your shipyard?
    (Your email adress didn´t worked)

2. JacksonAUS

JacksonAUS New Member

My boat is an 87 worlds boat. It's still very stiff, watertight and competetive. I bought a new sail and top section for it at the start of this year, if i got the turbo package for it i'm sure it'd be like a new boat.

I don't think it had been used very much before my ownership, as neither of the 2 prior owners had bothered to buy a trolley for it. I think it was a holiday boat.

3. iain_CAN165061

iain_CAN165061 New Member

1998, augest. its sexy

4. AZ 8783

AZ 8783 New Member

I guess I win!

A 1973 PSL with the number of 8783. Dry hull after I replaced the auto-bailer. I'm not sure how stiff the hull is since I sail on a lake in windless Arizona. But, she is pretty competitive!

And looks really cool with wood blades!

5. emilebr

emilebr New Member

I have a 1997 PSE. It's still stiff. But I'm looking for a newer one (2002). Because I want to sail radial and I still don't have the new vang, cunningham, etc. But there isn't really a good market here in Holland, so maybe I will buy one in the UK.

6. iain_CAN165061

avoid 02'. it was a faulty year. infat, avoid vanguard. i own a 98' vanguard... which was the beginning of the decline in vanguard's laser's stiffness. but 02' for vanguard had to recall some because of faulty manufactoring. try to get somthing other than vanguard. but if you can't then get a later year such as 98' er 99'.

what is PSE? sunfish?

7. Chris123

Chris123 New Member

I sail a 1989 Canadian hull that, before me, was owned by a series of teen sailors who worked it pretty hard. But that's OK, I figure a decrepit old guy like me ought to have a decrepit old boat!

It's pretty stiff, but it weighed a lot more than it ought to. I took off the access ports, taped some window screen over them (to keep squirrels from nesting in the hull) and tied it upright, in a sunny and windy spot, standing on its transom with its bow in a tree (they stack them that way at the factory, so I figured it was OK. A month of that made a huge difference in weight. It's noticeably lighter, too, now that I've ground off about a dozen layers of paint, although I'm going to have to put something back on because the gelcoat is gettin' mighty thin in places.

I've promised myself a brand new boat as a reward if I can :

a) get my own weight to an ideal 175-180
    b) get my condition to the point that I can hold
    a straight leg flat out hike for 15 minutes.

8. Chris123

Chris123 New Member

PSE is Performance Sailcraft Europe

9. emilebr

emilebr New Member

That's not a problem for me, because I live in Europe, so almost all lasers are PSE (Performance Sailcraft Europe) Lasers, made in the UK. Not Vanguard.

10. David

David New Member

1974 PSM :)

Dry hull, sail #21002 :D

11. pleon5045

pleon5045 New Member

i have a 2002 vanguard thats still completely dry.. and while i will admit some of my friends with 02 boats have wet boats, i don't think you can say to completely avoid 02 vanguards.

12. TheBoathouse

TheBoathouse New Member

13. iain_CAN165061

Well then I'm sorry. I was just spreading what an instructor of mine told me. He said there was a problem with the mast step. Again, i appologise for that if it is not true.

14. mikescott

mikescott Member

My first Laser will be a 2005 Pro, which I have on order. I can hardly wait to sail it!

Mike

15. laserchaser

laserchaser New Member

MY boat is a '99 (166060) and it has gone away for winter storage... :(

16. iain_CAN165061

Yea man, itsnt winter the biggest bummer?

17. Teeftie

Teeftie New Member

brand new blue 2005, i've sailed it maybe 8 times now

18. ascella_dylan

ascella_dylan New Member

1992 pearson boat works (hip hip horf**kingway) with a sail like chease cloth a (soon to be fixed) rotten core (many thanks to the previous owner who was too lazy to fix the traveler fairlead) and some deck delamination right were i sit(very comfy)

19. ps12

ps12 New Member

hull evaluation and repair potential question

I have a question on evaluation of an older boat. I am looking for a fun (not race competitive) boat to teach kids sailing and for play. The boat I am looking at currently appears to be late 70's / early 80's (??) in vintage. I cannot find a tag or molded number on the transom. The daggerboard and rudder are natural finished mahogony and the hull color appears to be a faded pumpkin (was later brush painted). There are some blisters on the deck and a variety of chips from the deck and hull; some of which have been patched with epoxy. The cam cleats for the main run parallel to the deck (in contrast to others I have seen). The spars appear good and the gooseneck is black square aluminum fittings with a bolt. There is a delamination of the surface (a big blister?) in the bottom corner of the cockpit but it appears solid. The sail is multi-colored and appears to be the best condition of all.

The hull has some cracking around the daggerboard opening and when tipped down, and then up, the cracks weeped water. The leaking area was at the leading edge of the daggerboard, The trailing edge area has a spider web-like cracking that did not appear to leak. Is this kind of cracking common and can it be sucessfully repaired ? Is it a reason to look elsewhere ?

Any ideas on the manufacturer of the boat and approximate age ? There is no trailer but a roof rack. Any thoughts on the condition, manufacturer, and asking price of 700 US ?

20. ascella_dylan

ascella_dylan New Member

unfortunately only this summer has it started to take on water, about a half a litre per sail...wish I could figure out where it is coming from.[/QUOTE]

:D hip hip horay children its bubble test time :D i hope you have a vacum with a blower or a bike pump and lots of dish soap this is the best part of boat repair it actually make you cleaner!! the first places i'd check are the traveller fairleads (the previous owner of my boat left the starboard one unrepaired and now i have a rotten core :mad: ) and the grabrails in my expeariance if it the bottom that leaks it kind of obvious were the leak is
    dylan
    963 days till challenger vs alingy americas cup 2007