Xmas Lasers - questionable marketing

Discussion in 'Laser Class Politics' started by LaLi, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Tillerman

Tillerman Member

Laser Radials 212699, 212700 and 212701 are listed in these results from the Hudson YC Fruitbowl in August as representing Yacht Cub de Saint-Pierre. There are also photos of those 3 boats with those sail numbers on the Facebook page of Yacht Club de Saint-Pierre.

Saint-Pierre and Miquelon is an overseas territory of France near Newfoundland, which is presumably why they are using SP as nationality letters, although perhaps they should have used FRA. Still doesn't explain the high numbers.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  2. Emilio Castelli

Emilio Castelli Member

Top mast didn't last very long...
    It's unbelievable they haven't solved this problem yet; all it would take is a sleeve, like it was done for the boom.
    The boat is pretty bulletproof otherwise.
    BTW, I remember reading somewhere (can't find link) that at the Worlds in Santander they measured all the boats for weight and rake. Results were "secret" though...
    In my opinion the quality and consistency of the hulls have improved in the last few years. Leaky boats, inconsistent rake, poorly mounted fittings were the norm early on.

The UK ad is bs; there is no way they made non compliant hulls intentionally, especially with the current legal mess going on. Red hull is definitely not a good idea either....
    BTW, in the US you can get a new Laser for $5600 delivered to your door.
    Good to see the numbers up.
    E

3. Tillerman

Tillerman Member

And several Radials with numbers in the 212 range sailed at Cork in 2013. They were all from YCSP and have FRA listed as their country in the results.

4. Gantt

Gantt Member

Here's the link: http://www.santander2014.com/uploaded_files/Document_376_20140908130413_en.pdf

With the advert, BS or not, it would be good to see an official response that it is BS. Be great to hear something like: according to the data at the 2014 World Champs in Santander the boats have negligible differences within tight tolerances which according to the results at Santana translated to no detectable performance advantage.

OR, we start thinking that there is a problem and it's being hidden. We can only speculate if the problem is a communication problem or if the class has actual performance issues - or both.

5. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Funny that the BS ad mentions the two things they were measuring at Santander.

6. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

Yes - the picture posted by torrid has St Pierre island and town in the background. Solved!
    Maybe they just have a local tradition of funny sail numbers. The third boat in the picture has 888888. (And even that boat sailed at CORK last year.)

Yes. And of all the things on the Z420 ad, the ones that made it to the Laser ad are exactly those that are relevant to the Laser. Had it mentioned "mast ram" or "8:1 jib halyard", no one would question Sailboats' honesty... or incompetence.

7. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

Do remember that sail numbers/plaques are issued in batches so it may simply be that they have started their next batch and there are still a load to be built from a different batch with another builder.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Deimos

Deimos Member

Regarding the weight claim; some years ago when I purchased my Laser, when I arrived (at Northampton Lasers's warehouse place), I considered buying a "bicolour" Laser and discussed the pros and cons with the staff and apparently the bi-colour ones are slightly heavier as they use/need a little additional glass/gel inside to maintain strength (only repeating what I was told, not claiming and special knowledge).

So I suspect they could have a "lower weight" hull in that it could be "lower weight" than a normal bi-colour hull though still be within weight for a Laser.

(That said, I still feel such ads contrary to the concept of a Laser - where all boats should be "equal" and the competition is between helms rather than the financial/gear arms race other classes can develop).

Ian

9. Gantt

Gantt Member

After a quick Google, here's something that surprised me:

then:
    http://www.sailingforums.com/threads/2010-laser-radial-4-7-perfect-mast-rake-only-127-lbs.31778/

10. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

This sounds a little strange. My hull is bi-coloured, and the colours definitely overlap below the waterline (you can see it from deep-enough scratches). One would think there is more gelcoat altogether, which would raise the weight by a probably insignificant amount. I see no reason though why there should be more glass and resin as well.

This in turn sounds bad. I wonder if Mr Johnstone would answer a few questions in that thread.