Would Like to Upgrade Snark Sunchaser 2 Hardware

Discussion in 'Sailing Talk' started by snarkyPete, Sep 24, 2016.

1. snarkyPete

snarkyPete New Member

After sailing the Snark quite a bit, the shortcomings become apparent.

Most notably are the cleats; the jam cleats tend to let go or hold on (snag) at the wrong time.

Any suggestions on inexpensive source for cam cleats that would be the right size?

Unfortunately, due to the nature of the ABS-stryofoam construction, I doubt I can just sink screws anywhere. I assume there are strategically-placed anchors for the hardware screws.

I can probably find appropriate cleats that are close enough to the right size, yet would prefer a suggestion for a vendor.

Thanks!!

2. fhhuber

fhhuber Member

inexpensive is the problem...

there is no such thing as an inexpensive cam cleat. About $50 each is cheapest I have found.

Cheaper to find someone scrapping a hull that has some decent cam cleats and buy it.

You CAN sink screws anywhere... foam filled ABS is fun. Drill oversize hole, (such as 3/8 dia for #8 screw) epoxy in dowel and you have a hard point for drilling and inserting a screw.

• Like Like x 1
  3. snarkyPete

snarkyPete New Member

good info, especially about setting screws!
    given than, a quick search yielded cam cleat plus fairlead for about half that (link)

it is a "beater" boat, so I don't mind doing a bit of modding, if I have a clue

4. fhhuber

fhhuber Member

look at the line diameter they take....