Would it be possible for me to sail this distance?

Vinnie Beranek

hey guys,
i am 13 right now and i am having quite a thought. ive been sailing my laser radial for close to 3 years now (been sailing since im 5) and i weigh 65 kilos. for about a year ive had the thought of trying to make a new world record as being the youngest person to sail from south sicily to malta in the summer of 2017 (ill be 14 then). ive looked into it and its 52 nautical miles (or about 96 kms) and say i were going between 5 and 8 knots when the wind is good and i have no bad currents i could do it in about 10 hours right? the furthest ive ever sailed in a day were about 60 kms with my ass hurting really bad after that day haha. now me question do you guys thing its possible with say a guard/security rib or something following along if i get off course? money and sponsory arent really a problem but i have the feeling that big waves would stop mke from making it if say there were 30 kts of wind..ive only ever encountered waves up to 1,2 meters because i sail on a lake most of the time...would this trip even be possible on a radial? can one of you find out for me from what direction the wind flows most of the time ( where i am it is mostly NW and the occasional east breeze) from Malta to sicily? i cant get right answers of maps and websites.... and please dont say im to young or childish for this...ive grown up with boats and i know how to handle them and how dangerous wind can be :) thanks

Hi Vinnie,

there is a thread on this site called "Long Distance Laser Sailing" It might be useful.

Personally I'm sure it would be fine to do it. You would just have to do your weather and current research. As you will be having a Rib along the risk will be low. Looks like the main risk would be sores on your backside. I'd glue on several layers of camping mat to the side decks to reduce the chance of pressure sores:)

Hi Vinnie,

there is a thread on this site called "Long Distance Laser Sailing" It might be useful.

Personally I'm sure it would be fine to do it. You would just have to do your weather and current research. As you will be having a Rib along the risk will be low. Looks like the main risk would be sores on your backside. I'd glue on several layers of camping mat to the side decks to reduce the chance of pressure sores:)
thanks for the reply, buti have another question... would it be good to take a secord rudder,lover mast, upper mast, sail etc?

Back