Worlds Sunfish

jonclark

I am looking to buy one of the (almost) new Sunfish used in an international regatta down in Curacau in the Caribbean. Has anyone ever purchased one of these?

I am looking to buy one of the (almost) new Sunfish used in an international regatta down in Curacau in the Caribbean. Has anyone ever purchased one of these?

I bought one of the boats from the last worlds in 2010
the boat is in prestine condition and the sail and the blades are also like new
if you can buy it don't think too much
the dolly is also perfect

My brother in law bought one of the new Lasers brought in for 2009 Laser worlds here in Nova Scotia. He made the arrangements at the beginning of the competition and when the races were over he had first pick of the boats. His boat was like new as some boats were not even used in the competition. Two sets of new sails, boat cover & Seitech dolly, and a fully race rigged Laser all for a discounted price. The deal was done through the local Laser Performance Dealer. The Local dealer could not sell all the boats that were brought in as I think there were over a 100 so those other boats went to market somewhere else.
My advise is be the first in line and get best pick of the Sunfish fleet you won't be disappointed.

><> Minas man <><

I am looking to buy one of the (almost) new Sunfish used in an international regatta down in Curacao in the Caribbean. Has anyone ever purchased one of these?

Correct me if I am wrong, but from your profile it looks like you are not living in Curacao. If true, do you intend to buy from a US dealer after the boat is transported back to the USA?

good work.
yes I am in the states. I go to Bonaire for the winter.jan,feb, march, and have been sailing down there with the local club. the boats in the club are so so and the best ones are for the racers! i love to sail and there arent many used boats. i thought i could get one down from miami, but the shipping was 2k for a sunfish.Soooooo, my options are limited and I decided to buy from a sunfish/laser dealer in curasau. $300 to ship, $300 duty.still an OK deal, but more than I can afford. Life is short.

Jon: You have sailed around Bonaire, so you know that the winds are strong over there most of the year. Same for Curacao. I sailed there once (in January) in a regatta and we had 20-25 mph every day. Out in open water with big waves and, consequently, lots of stress on the masts. Vanguard used the event to test some longer sleeves for the masts, but some of those bent anyway. Mostly because of sailors 'stuffing' the bow in a wave going downwind. Maybe the winds will be less next month during the championship (June), but it appears likely that the 2011 Worlds will go down in history as a high-wind event. Also consider that the participants are all highly skilled and will sail their assigned boats very physically.

The point that I want to make is that you should look very carefully at the hull and the three spars if you intend to buy one of this year's Worlds Sunfishes.
And follow the local weather reports at the time of the racing to get an idea of the stresses the boats will have encountered.

Back