Wooden daggerboard and rudder?

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Markus, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Markus

Markus New Member

Pictures would be just fabulous!!! There might be a way to get some replica foils made of wood. But I am not sure if I should go for a compromise?!

2. Mudi 08757

Mudi 08757 Member

i have the rudder here, the daggerboard is at my fathers in CO. I'll get a picture of both and send. I also have the wodden cockpit grab handles, original tiller with newer extension and the original main sheet block and cleat swivel setup.

Just talking about it, I need to go sailing...

3. Rick_Kraemer

Rick_Kraemer New Member

I just received a 1970s vintage laser from my father-in-law, who is no longer healthy enough to sail it. It came with the orignal wood blades, which were stored in a garage the whole time, but are prety beat and need a lot of work. I';ve just started to refinish them, which is a task that I truly hate. I am not a restoration purist; I just love to sail.

I don't think anyone would be willing to trade me, but apparently the originals are difficult to find. I would gladly trade my wood centerboard, rudder, and tiller for new or like-new replacements to anyone who is interested in refinishing my wood blades. The tiller and rudder just need to be stripped, stained and varnished. The centerboard was split lengthwise, and epoxyed back together, plus the bottom edge has many cracks and the trailing edge is missing up to 1/4" of wood where it has been abused. I can post or send pctures.

I feel silly asking to trade my old, beat up blades for new ones, but I don't have a lot of money to invest in this boat right now, and want to be sailing it as soon as possible.