wiring trailer lights

c barrett

I am reqiring an old dilly trailer using West Marine's light kit. The lights are LED and came with wire harness of extra length. The vendor's idea is to install the lights onto the trailer frame then pull wires to length, cut and connect using wire nuts. For the rear brake lights, I am wondering if there is a recommended method to connect the main wires to the light fixture leads.

Should I use wire nuts or is there a need to use some kind of waterproof connector I should use?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

I use the wire nuts in order to be able to replace the lights when needed. After the lights are connected, tested and working properly, I drip Brush-On Electrical Tape down into the wire nut and wires. When dry, a also wrap with regular electrical tape. I also put the brush on tape on any ground connection to the trailer.

An alternative method is to use the crimp on connectors with the same method, replaceing the light end as required. I have not found any "waterproof" connectors" that work.

Thanks Bill, I had not thought of that. The pumps I have replaced have had all connections above ground in weatherproof boxes.

Back