Winter wear

steerrolldash

I really hate drysuits and was wondering what those of you who feel the same way wear when the weather starts turning really cold. I tend to wear less when racing but if I'm out for the day I go with:
Rooster Hot Top
Rooster Race Skin
3/4 hikers
Rooster Aquafleece
Rooster dry top
Rooster neoprene boot inserts.
I'm not really addicted to Rooster, they just had the most choice at the Boat Show when I had the money!

Obviously, you need to move somewhere where the weather for sailing is better.

I am going sailing in a few mimnutes and will wear a watch, glasses, a hat, t shirt, shorts, and a lifejacket.

If more clothing becomes a regular requirement around here I shall move closer the the Equator.

Does this guy really look like he is having any fun??

snowpilingindriveway.jpg

I really hate drysuits ...

I hate the price of drysuits - so have never had one. Out of interest why do you dislike them.

Went sailing Fri and yesterday with 2/3mm long johns (farmer john's) and boots (PFD and gloves). Shoulders got a bit chilly so probably batter to have gone out with a spray top as well - but not uncomfortable.

I'm surprised with all that you can move. And if it gets wet, how do you get back in the boat with all that weight.

Ian

I really hate drysuits and was wondering what those of you who feel the same way wear when the weather starts turning really cold.

Two issues: Your comfort and your safety. You haven't given us much info on either point. For instance, do you go out on protected or open water? With nobody else around in open water, you will need better protection so that rescue folks can get to you in case something bad happens.

To advise you, we will also need to know the water and air temperatures where you will be sailing this winter.

I hate the price of drysuits - so have never had one. Out of interest why do you dislike them.

Went sailing Fri and yesterday with 2/3mm long johns (farmer john's) and boots (PFD and gloves). Shoulders got a bit chilly so probably batter to have gone out with a spray top as well - but not uncomfortable.

I'm surprised with all that you can move. And if it gets wet, how do you get back in the boat with all that weight.

Ian

I find drysuits aren't flexible enough to meet changing conditions. Plus I tend to sweat a lot and even when I had a breathable dry suit I was getting very wet under it.

The Rooster stuff is light and flexible and doesn't cramp me too much. It doesn't absorb water so getting back in isn't a problem, and I'm heavy as well.

Two issues: Your comfort and your safety. You haven't given us much info on either point. For instance, do you go out on protected or open water? With nobody else around in open water, you will need better protection so that rescue folks can get to you in case something bad happens.

To advise you, we will also need to know the water and air temperatures where you will be sailing this winter.

Sorry if you've missed the tone of my post. I'm more curious about what others do rather than needing advice - but I'll always take a good idea/recommendation if it comes along!

You don't know much about the weather in the UK then?:)

Certainly I do. That is why my ancestors moved out of England, and also from Italy and Germany.

Why sail in cold water when so much of the planet has warm water??

Places like the UK, Cnnada, Russia, and my old home in Pennsylvania are unsuitable habitat for beings who love watersports.

As a fraction of the human population, sailors are but a tiny few. We should gather in places where we can comfortably play our game.

If for no other reason, we should gather together in warm climates so we do not have to consume so much fossil fuel and and precious vacation time while traveling to assemble fleets.

Back on topic:

I find the following to be pretty darned comfortable:
Start>
Shorts and t shirt.
As the temperature of theh air and water falls add:

1. lightweight neoprene hiking pants
2. short sleeve spray top
3. heavier over the knee neoprene hiking pants
4. knit stocking cap...the one in the photo above has served me for forty years but I no longer wear it sailing as the knitter of the hat died in 1993 and I could not tolerate losing it
5. knit hat with face protection and one huge hole for mouth and nose..this hat can easily be pulled back over the head and dropped over the neck for downwind and pulled with one stroke back over the head for upwind. Mine is a $3 find from Walmart.
6. Neoprene boots with neoprene socks are added somewhere depending on the temperature of the water and whether I must walk through waters my bare feet would deem treacherous
7. long sleeve dry top with long sleeve t shirt replaces short sleeve spray top and shor sleeve t shirt
8. add a fleece vest under the spray top.
9. swap the t shirt and fleece vest for long sleeve fleece or a sweatshirt
10. Add neoprene gloves with leather palms and finger contact surfaces
11. Sit by fireplace and catch up on my reading until spring.

Back