Wind Shifts Downwind

RonanCull

Here's a question for anyone who can help me out!

How do you know when you get a windshift downwind?

For example how can you tell the difference between a shift in the true wind and a shift of the apparent wind, whilst sailing downwind in at speed?

Cheers!

If you're by the lee it's as obvious as upwind shifts. Aparrent wind shift is also clear because it happens everytime you acelerate - you can turn further downwind while still having reversed air flow across the sail. Dead down wind you'd have to use a wind indicator.

Get a wind indicator. Just watch the indicator- as long as your trim and course stay the same, any changes (not from rolling in waves) are shifts.

Get a wind indicator. Just watch the indicator- as long as your trim and course stay the same, any changes (not from rolling in waves) are shifts.

My wind indicator seems to spend a lot of time spinning wildly when I am sailing aggressively downwind, surfing waves and sailing by the lee.

Best indicator seems to be the angle I am sailing by the lee and my angle to the waves. And I only seem to get that right once in a while !

another interesting thing that you might keep in mind, when you sail by the lee one tends to sail brouder angles than on a reach. so when surfing waves chose a jybe that will allow you to surf waves on both points of sail allowing for greater versatility and speed creating bottom and topturn manuevers.
cheers

Back