Will I hurt my boat by leaving it moored for a few days?

sshow bob

Memorial Day weekend is coming up and its time to play with the boats. Unfortunately, the ramp I'd use to launch my Laser off its Dolly is closed. I'd like to splash it on Friday and leave it in until Monday but its hard work to carry it down the dock and back up each day. Will I damage it by mooring it for a few days?

I assume you are taking the mast/sails off each night. I don't know about Lasers, but I know leaving a dry sailed keelboat without bottom paint on it in the water for a few days during a regatta will result in some slimy stuff on the bottom. It is worse in salt water.

Mast and sails coming off nightly. I'm not too worried about fouling. This is Maine. The water is 50 degrees. I'll wipe it down. I'm more worried about something rattling around in my head about there the Laser's layout not liking immersion for very long.

Mast and sails coming off nightly. I'm not too worried about fouling. This is Maine. The water is 50 degrees. I'll wipe it down. I'm more worried about something rattling around in my head about there the Laser's layout not liking immersion for very long.

You are correct. I left a laser in a lake for 3 days and when it came out there were about 25 osmossis blisters on the bottom, (plus a little slime). They dried up and receded back in about 1 week. There are theories that a higher water temp will increase the risk of blistering. 50 degrees is pretty cold....

I wouldn't worry about it, I left mine in the water for about 6 weeks last fall because i had no trailer and no where to put it. It was fine except for a little water in it and some slime. This was in cool water, probably 60-65 degrees max.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll launch the boat and leave it in for a few and get that much more sailing time - which I'm dying for. Haven't but out yet this year. It will be moored in a shallow bay - nothing to wash into and not enough room for any fetch to develop.

Hey - I think we sailed together at least once last summer on John Majkut's Etchells. Anyway, I live in Bath and will race out of PYC when it gets going in a few weeks.

Back